My FIL is Giving Away 4 of my Guinea Hens (UPDATE pg 2)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by swampducks, Oct 23, 2008.

1. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    It's kind of weird, my FIL is a manipulator with his family but nice to everyone else. He knows I have a lot of excess guineas. I figured I might try selling a few. However, the 2 oldest ones were brought to the Amish by DH and his FIL along with some of FIL's ducks for processing because they were picking on the younger birds and generally being mean.

Apparently, they were seen at the Amish by someone (we'll call Mr X) dropping off some chickens, and he asked whom they belonged to. MY FIL's name was given. Mr X looked him up in the phone book, called and told him he had 4 male guineas and wanted to know if FIL wanted them. Well, FIL explained they were mine, so next thing FIL calls me with Mr X's phone number.

Now I do NOT need any more male guineas and I told dear FIL that. Next thing I know FIL has DH (who was there helping with the farm work) calling MR X and between the 3 of them have arranged to give MR X 2 of my females. FIL will take 2 of his males, and FIL will also get 2 of my females.

[​IMG]

I'm still not quite sure how to feel about this. DH says to consider it a good will gesture to keep us on FIL's good side. Plus I'll "know" someone local with guineas besides me. (I also get the impression that this Mr X thinks we're getting the better end of the deal because his male guineas are older than my guinea hens.)

Okaaaay? [​IMG]

So far I only know for certain that I have 10 females out of 48. This will leave me with 6. But would I be bad to give away only pearls and keep the lavenders for myself? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Of course you should keep your lavenders if they are your favourites!

3. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Personally I would be making my own choices with my own birds and so should you - IF you do not wish to give any of your females away then don't. Make your own decisions and dont let your FIL make them for you. But if you decide otherwise keep the lavenders. Good Luck

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    [​IMG] Heads would roll if DH tried to give away *any* of my animals.

Sounds like the only one getting the raw end of the deal is YOU and they are your birds!

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    My Dh wouldn't DARE offer my animals to someone!! He knows nothing about them and knows I would be furious. [​IMG]

Now if they wanted to come to me with the deal, I might be willing, but just to do it with out asking or telling me? NO WAY! [​IMG]

My FIL wouldn't mess with any animals but if he liked them, I could see him trying to pull something like that. I think I would kick his...........well, you get the idea. [​IMG]

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Just say, "NO!" Tell him you may consider selling them, and quote a price that is a bit high. If you let this happen, you will be writing "DOORMAT" right across your forehead. Also, DH needs to back you up on this. He shouldn't be humoring his father at your expense. My DH used to side with his mother when she tried to walk over me. I constantly asked him to not humor her at my expense. It didn't sink in until the day I laid down the law and said that the kids and I wouldn't spend time with her if she was being abusive and manipulative without him stepping in. One day we were out to dinner with her. She started it up. I looked at him and said, "The kids and I are going home. We don't have to endure this." He finally got it and stood up to her. The problem is now permanently resolved. Your FIL obviously doesn't respect you. That will be difficult to change without your DH standing up to him.

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    My jaw dropped when I read this. I'd be smackin someone by now! If anyone tried doing that with me I'd beat em a pulp. You definitely need to stand up and say no. Does your FIL care for the birds? Does he buy the feed? No? Then he has absolutely no right doing ANYTHING with your birds! Your DH needs to stop kissing butt and stand up for HIS WIFE. Where is that grumpy smiley when u need it? :mad:

8. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    The thought that anyone would make decisions for me (unless I'm in a coma) is completely alien to me.
    Why is it so many people are nicer to strangers than relatives? You would think the people closest to you would be the ones you treat the best....

Anyway, if it were me, I would load the shotgun with rocksalt, put on some cool sunglasses and sit in front of the coop until everyone understood I was not happy with this "deal"......

ps. edited to say wear thermal undies, it's probably pretty cold in MI.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:ROFL! The shotgun and glasses cracked me up!

10. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    that sounds like a raw deal for you! your out 4 birds with none in return. and your FIL is getting the deal....and you already told him no and he went behind your back to your DH..... if my DH ever did that to me it would be on and crackin'....I would tell them politely to shove it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by