my final creation

tav1

Songster
9 Years
Nov 4, 2014
ct.

well here she is, (just waiting for hens now), pretty much predator proof. still have to add top soil so the ground is level .....something I need to do. I had to go sideways on the door 12x 14 ,no room to go up......thought the door came out great....hey I like it...lol. picked up some pine shavings and a feeder and waterer and as for the feed not sure how old the hens will be when i get them. as for the coop a little section in my shed so i'm thinking between the run and coop it's about 99.8 % predator proof . not really sure if the outside roost is gonna stay up or take it down. I know it rained last night and pretty sure the roofing kept the water out.....pretty dry in there. now just looking for the ladies.

looking good! its a relief to get the coop done, I know.

Just a thought....chicken wire is not predator proof - a coon can pull it apart, reach thru to grab, etc. You might consider putting hardware cloth over it. And maybe you buried wire fencing so they can't dig under it - as dogs, and other critters will do. I learned the hard way, myself, having had dogs dig under and wipe out my flock while I was at work.

yea I did read and heard about chicken wire but it was in my budget ,but I think we'll be ok . hopefully. thanks for the feed back

Chicken wire will keep the chickens contained.

If you're intentions are to lock them in at night, they will be about as safe as free range chickens during the day.

Many do free range with mixed results.

Most are prepared, and do sustain losses once a predator locates a meal.

Way too much information available on this site about losses due to predators.

PS. I love your avatar
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom