my final new coop design (I think) :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mudpaw, Aug 1, 2010.

1. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    I just keep changing my mind but I think I have finally 100% pinned down the coop design for what I'm building. This will be my second as my first was way too small for my chicken addiction to contain [​IMG] Right now it is tentatively sized at 6' x 6' (but will likely end up being made larger-maybe 8' x 8') . I didn't include any measurements since it's not a concrete plan-not to mention the scale is way off. Enjoy and maybe it will inspire someone else [​IMG] Oh, BTW it's designed for the ridiculous heat we get down here in GA (so lots of ventilation!) as well as my very small city backyard (I'm a few blocks from the main road through downtown). It's also not raised on legs so that it won't be visible above my privacy fence (chickens are legal here, but I have already had neighbor issues-so I'm trying to avoid more conflict [​IMG] [​IMG] ). Nothing fancy really, but, look good?

[​IMG]

2. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I'll take 2.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Looks very nice. It's very similar to the coop I'm having built for me, hopefully this month.

Just a thought: I wonder if you might put the exterior nest boxes on a different wall. The way you have it now in your design, on rainy days you'd be standing right in the runoff from the roof as you open up the nestboxes.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  4. mudpaw

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    Quote:hmm...good point. I think I could easily make that change-thanks [​IMG]

5. mudpaw

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    Ok, so a good point was made, so I made an updated version of the design (as well as got the ok to make it bigger- 6' x 8' -so I reflected that too) - expect an interior draw up later [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Very nice! [​IMG]

7. mudpaw

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    UPDATE: Here's the interior designs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry it's so small-but the important stuff in there is a poop board and ladder roost, also a homemade gravity feeder.

(BTW -the name is Welsh (pronounced Cywion Hafen)- just in case you were wondering what sort of horrible typo that was LOL [​IMG]

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    That's looking nice. Make sure that the window is removable. I'd put some mesh under it. In the summer, it may get far too hot inside if the sun goes in through the window. Or, will it be in the shade?

9. mudpaw

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG] All the windows open (there are double hung windows on the sides and then swing-out windows on the front and back)-and are all covered with hardware cloth on the interior. There are also wooden doors that open on the side (hinged at the top) for even more ventilation. The dark green areas at the top of the walls are also ventilation covered with hardware cloth. It will be in the shade except for the early morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by