My Finished Tractor

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaku, May 10, 2008.

1. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Finally got it done! My birds will be going into it tomorrow hopefully. It's darn heavy- not bad to drag though, now that I fixed the wheels. Made with a 2x2 frame (pressure treated where touching the ground,) 1/2 inch hardware cloth, and plastic corrugated roof panels. 6'x10'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    Very well done, neat and functional. I's say it's a winner.

3. bluedog

bluedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    East KY
    nice job your chickens will love it !!

4. Fearlessphil

Fearlessphil Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Vilonia, Arkansas
    Very nice. A few questions:

What are the dimensions?

Is it fairly easy to move?

How many chickens are you going to have in there?

I currently have a hoop coop. It is pretty heavy to move without the tractor.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Very nice. It looks nice and light, easy for hand pulling.

6. jaku

Quote:It is 6'x10'x2'. It's pretty heavy, but it's not bad now that I fixed the wheels. I only lift one end (the light end,) and pull it. I can move it myself without much trouble. I'll only be moving it one pen-length at a time. I have 22 birds right now, then later in the year when these are butchered, I'll be getting 50 to go in it.

7. jaku

Birds went out to pasture today! Since it was a nice day and I dealt with them in my garage for three weeks, I decided to go for it. It still gets into the 40's at night here, so I put their heat lamp in the back of the pen. I've been raising the lamp about 3"/day for the past week or so to get them used to the transition. Hopefully they'll be ok. Now my worries can switch from the lamp burning down my barn and cleaning the brooder twice a day to animals getting at them. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dogs weren't sure what to make of these strange creatures they've been hearing for weeks, but only now are seeing.
    [​IMG]

8. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    That isn't very big very 22 let alone 50 is it? I am trying to decide how big to make the one that I need for my cornish and I have 15. I do like your design, looks nice and simple and very effective.

Good Work!

9. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Ouch, I thought you were gonna have just a handful, but 22 is a lot for that space. Remember inside the run you should had a min. of 3 sq. ft. and outside is usually double that. You will not be able to save your grass at all if that was the plan with the tractor. That many birds in that space will wipe it out in less than a day. Plus they will pick on each other. How do you plan on moving that many? You may run over some birds in the process.
    I'm not trying to be critical but it's just not going to be big enough.

In that space you should have no more than 12-15 birds, otherwise, for a few birds it's nice.

10. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    I think 6x10 should be fine for 22 birds. 50 would really be pushing the limit. I have a 10x10 and a 10x12 tractor (new). I'll be putting 60 in the 10x12 next week, and that's about as many as I feel comfortable with (2 sqft per bird), but I've heard of people putting 100 in that amount of space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by