My first 2 eggs and a question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by summerb76, Dec 31, 2008.

1. summerb76

summerb76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    YAY!!!!I found two beautiful brown eggs in a nesting box this morning. I have no idea who layed them but who cares.....I am thrilled. My questions is, will my chickens lay eggs somewhere in the yard????...they are free range over 2 1/2 acres all day long. I would hate to miss out on finding the eggs because they didnt lay in the coop. I am hoping since two layed in the coop the other know where to lay too..i hope!

2. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Yes, they will lay on the range if the find a nice out of the way [ safe ] spot.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Summer, they may already have a nest of eggs out there . . .

Steve

4. summerb76

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    nooooooo, i dont want them laying in the yard, i may never find them. I will just hope they only like the nesting boxes. I hope i get more tomorrow![​IMG]

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first 2 eggs. Putting some golf balls or ping-pong balls, etc in the nest boxes will help encourage your chickens to lay there.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    When our ladies started to lay, we kept them in the coop for two weeks, sort of like when we trained them to their new home so they'd come back in at night. We also used the golf balls.

After two weeks, we almost never found an egg on the coop floor. Now that they're out, they run back to the coop to lay eggs. We only found 2 eggs under the coop all summer--that's it. And I know that I was getting all the eggs into the boxes because we would get 30-33 eggs in nest boxes each day and I only had 33 hens.

Erika

7. summerb76

Aug 8, 2008
    Lake Como, Florida
    Great idea Sunshine! I will try that. Thx for the info.

8. crait

crait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Congrats, Summer!
    My chicken started laying today too! [​IMG]
    I'm going to do the golf-ball method to keep my chicken from laying in unsafe spots. She laid in the middle of my wide-open backyard!
    I'm going to make a little nest with ping-pong balls in there for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by