my first 3 cornish x were great!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dustyw, Jul 31, 2010.

1. dustyw

dustyw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    The subject line and the pic speaks for them self!

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    holy cow awesome-give details how many did you get?
    how long did it take perbird?
    how heavy were they? how much food did you go through?
    just how nasty dirty were they?
    what age were they when processed?

thanks I have meatied getting deilvered WED!!!!

3. dustyw

dustyw Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    I strarted with 29 and ended up with 23. 2 of the deaths were my fault and the other 4 all died the same day and I am blaming the extreme heat for that. The birds were 8 weeks and 2 days old. I didn't weigh any of them, but they all seemed pretty big to me. I went through 5 bags of feed, I think. I planted some left over wheat out in our 1 acre garden and just moved them around in that. I didn't find them to be nasty at all as long as you moved the tractor a couple times a week. I planted some annual rye grass between my pumpkin rows and have all the vines going the other way and thats were I will tractoring my next batch of 50 that I am getting aug 10. This was my first time raising broilers and it really fely good supplying my family with fresh meat. Here is a pic just a few days old, but that doesn't last long.

[​IMG]

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Did you order the girls from Meyers? Yes they are gross and nasty and the poop alot and then theres the very big round pink a** that is yucky. I've have move my tractor every other day. It might get better I started letting them out to free range when I get home from work.
    dusty your birds look yummy

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Did you order the girls from Meyers? Yes they are gross and nasty and the poop alot and then theres the very big round pink a** that is yucky. I've have move my tractor every other day. It might get better I started letting them out to free range when I get home from work.
    dusty your birds look yummy

Girls wre ordered-25 of them! I built a tractor type thing this weekend all by myself-it is so redneck for sure--haha-DH let me have free range of his workshop-tools and wood! SO I havent had to spend a dime and used all wood taken from his old jobs-so cost....0$ so far. I have a huge coop box I got from work-5ft x 4 ft for them to sleep at night safe and sound locked up-I wil keep them cages for a few weeks then at about 4 weeks Ill let them free range when I am home and all weekends-I put there coop/run right next to my huge chicken -poop compost pile and on a slant-so I can hose down their run everyday:) I cant wait-Ill post photos of my getto settip later:) Chicks come Wednesday from Meyers...

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:We dont have extreme heat at this point 80 the highest mostly 70's perfect weather for them! 5 bags of food huh.. let me see If I go through 5 bags of food at 14$ each thats 70$ then the cost of the birds 40.00$ so far thats 110$ for 25 birds-hopinh they all make the trip here and to the end that puts me at 4.40$ a bird full grown and processed-thats awesome....Maybe free ranging when they get 4 weeks old will cut down on food a tad but I doubt it since you did the same thing. This is going to be great-your the first person that has really said they werent 100% filthy gross things! haha makes me hapy to think this might be a total awesome experience!!!! I might go for 50 next year if all goes well....

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I started with 10 CX's and 24 FR and yes the are yucky. But my next order of 25 will be ready on aug 9. I think meyers must have had a large order of rooster for 8/2. I was unable to get a straight run order for that hatch date that is why I thinking they were 15 % off. I would have order the girls if i had know I might just call tomorrow and see if they have any extra girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by