My first Ameraucana chick hatched!

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hello everyone, I bought a couple of blue wheaten/wheaten ameraucana and Golden Cuckoo Marans fertile eggs from Melissa(Pasofino) about a couple of weeks ago and put them all in the bator. They were soo beautifull and couldnt wait till they hatched but after soo much work and waiting, it has paid off, a baby hatched!

I had one ameraucana chick hatch. It is soo cute, I think it might be a blue wheaten Ameraucana being a whiter/light color. It is somewhat cute to see how she is the only one that hatched( i am hoping it is a female!) and is soo smart! I am still waiting to see if the other eggs hatch but I put them all in the same date so I am guessing either they are just delayed or they never developed. I cracked one that didnt looked developed and it was all scrambled up. I am kind of sad
hit.gif
though when I see her because I puchased a decent amount of both Ameraucanas and Marans and was hoping to see some marans and more ameraucanas but I just dont know where I went wrong or why this happened when I have had such great hatchings from my pekin ducks. I am not dissapointed though because I atleast got one baby! But would like to try again.

Thanks again Melissa for your help and for those beautiful eggs.

Here is a picture of the chick after it hatched and was completely dry...what do you guys think it is? a female or male?
blue wheaten/wheaten?

i will let you guys know if any other of the eggs hatch which I am hoping because I did spend on the eggs and other equipment(high lume candler in home depot to see those dark eggs!) and because I have been waiting for such a long time to finally have some ameraucana and marans hatch.
But lets see!

Photo435.jpg

Photo436.jpg

Photo437.jpg

Photo440.jpg

Photo444.jpg

I'd guess it's a Wheaten pullet.

here are some pics of her chicks at 9 days.

Looks like I got TWO Blue Wheaten ROOS!

10376_img_0504.jpg

Here is my Wheaten pullet and the only female... also got a Wheaten roo (I believe)

10376_img_0501.jpg

Here is my Golden Cuckoo Maran Pair.... hen and roo.

10376_img_0507.jpg

The only speckled sussex that hatched from the five eggs from Nancy (bargain) the way he is standing... gotta be a roo.

10376_img_0509.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
It's way too early to tell if you got cockerels or pullets there. The soonest you'll be able to tell is when their pin feathers start coming in. If you see dark pin feathers coming in, then you'll know you've got cockerels.

As for know, you have some pretty birds.

God Bless,

Well I am hoping that the blue wheaten that hatched is a female, I really want to atleast have a female now that she is the only one that hatched.
chickedydoodaa I never opened the bator for whatever reason, I only opened them to turn the eggs, and to also be able to candle which I never was able to beause i never was able to see anything with eggs that dark. I just candled a couple of days ago when I bought a special light( mahonri knows he used it too!) which helped me see the insides of the egg but even then I dont think they never developed they were all scrambled no signs of life. I have had great success doing what I have with my pekin duck eggs so I just dont know where I went wrong. I even heard that duck eggs are harder to hatch so this is just weired.

Either way I hope to try again if I get the chance to I really wanted some of those Marans and more ameraucanas.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Back
Top Bottom