My first Ameruacana, now what?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dianneS, Dec 13, 2011.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I just obtained a young, lavender, rumpless, straight combed Ameruacana rooster. I only have EE hens to breed him with for the time being.

If I want to get started breeding pure Ameruacanas, how and where do I obtain a hen/hens? What features would I look for in a hen that would cross nicely with this guy?

What do I need to know when getting started with Ameruacanas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Ameraucanas have tails and pea combs.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Ameraucana's do not have single combs and are not rumpless. He would make nice Easter Eggeras though.

4. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:hes not an ameruacana. were did you get him? do you have pics of him to post up?

6. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:hes not an ameruacana. were did you get him? do you have pics of him to post up?

I could post some pics. Honestly, I was a bit suspicious when the lady who gave him to me said that he was rumpless and had a single comb etc. That didn't sound quite right to me? She said, "oh, they can have single combs, pea combs, rumpless, tail feathers, tufts or no tufts and still be an Ameruacana!" So I believed her. She had been trying for quite some time to hatch some eggs in her incubator and ended up with only five succefully hatching. Three were roos and only two were hens. That's how I obtained the rooster.

I'll try and get some pics for you. Any ideas so far as to what he might be?

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    dianneS,
    Are you in the U.S. or in the U.K.?

Chris

8. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:I'm in the US.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I'm in the US.

Then I would say you have a mix.

Chris

10. dianneS

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Here he is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to say anything to the woman who gave him to me, since he was free. Apparently the person she got her fertile hatching eggs from told her they were Ameruacan eggs. But where did she get her mixed up information regarding the breed in general? Seems odd to me?

If he's out of a blue egg, he should still make a nice addition to my EE breeding program. My EE's look just like the Ameruacanas in that thread listed above, and they look nothing like this rooster! (You can see some of them in the background)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by