1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My first and second eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newmamahen, Sep 15, 2009.

1. newmamahen

newmamahen In the Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Eugene
    One of my lovely ladies laid her first egg on Sunday!!!! We were so very egg-cited! It is a beautiful light brown, smooth egg, with purple spots! We aren't sure "who" created this beautiful gift, but are excited just the same! Today (Tuesday) I checked and there, in the nesting box (I have really smart girls) was another lovely gift. This time it is also brown, does not have spots and is rather course, with a lighter colored area. I also found a strange thing that sort of looks like an egg "skin", the same color as the new egg, and even has that same light colored area. Does anyone know what this "skin" thing is? It wasn't near the new egg, rather in a separate corner of the nesting box. If anyone can help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it. What a VERY exciting time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations!! The skin thing might be a soft shelled egg-do you have oyster shell out for them? If not, you might need to get some, it will give them the calcium they need to strengthen their shells. [​IMG]

3. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Songster

Sep 4, 2009
    Congrats! I cant wait for my first egg![​IMG]

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

5. newmamahen

newmamahen In the Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Eugene
    Yes, I do have oyster shells in their laying feed. They seem to be eating it all up, along with broccoli. Thanks for the insight...I won't worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by