My First Araucanas

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by astylishgirl, May 2, 2009.

1. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    I just brought home the prettiest little white breeding trio of Araucanas. On the way home, one of the hens laid a very light blue egg. I thought that was so sweet! The egg was not very blue, but these chickens are darling.

I want to breed the rooster with my white silkies to try to get a silkie that lays blue eggs as well. I know that Silkies have been crossed with a Turken to do that before. But I thought it would be fun to do it with a white Araucana.

You can click on this to see a bigger picture

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  2. stano40

stano40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Being new to raising chickens I would like to ask what are the reasons or benefits from cross breeding like that.

bob

3. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    Being new to chickens myself... I just thought it would be fun! Mainly, I think silkies are really cute. And I thought it would be fun to have one that laid blue eggs.

I am a hobbiest... so all the REAL breeders may not want to do this.

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Quote:Same reason I am breeding Welsummer, Cuckoo Marans and maybe some of my other breeds to my EE hens. To see what comes out of it. [​IMG]

Actually, I want to get the pretty eggs for my customers, and have beautiful hens for me to look at.

It's what (some of us, anyway) we do. I have my purebreeds, then I have fun with my mutts.

Cheri

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Me jealous.

Congratulations! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by