My first attempt at hatching HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick_newbie, Jul 3, 2008.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    OK I have been reading and just want to reassure myself that I got it all straight.

Warm bator before putting eggs in. Do you candle them before going in?[​IMG] My bator is borrowed and old so I will have to turn them manually. So I turn them until day 18, and then just leave them. Can they stay in the bator until all hatch or do I need to take the hatched ones out before the rest are done? These instructions are from a long time ago and says not to feed or water for 48 hours, is that right?

We already did the baby chicks from the store, so we already have the resto fo the set up for that.[​IMG]

Any help will be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

Warm bator before putting eggs in.
    Yes

Do you candle them before going in?
    No

My bator is borrowed and old so I will have to turn them manually. So I turn them until day 18, and then just leave them.
    Yes, turn twice a day

Can they stay in the bator until all hatch or do I need to take the hatched ones out before the rest are done?
    Let them dry first.

These instructions are from a long time ago and says not to feed or water for 48 hours, is that right?
    You can feed and water when dry, dip their beaks in both food and water so they know. [​IMG]

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I candle mine before I put them in the bator to make sure there are not any cracks or broken air cells. Stop turning on day 18 and dont open the bator till the hatch is over, usually 24hrs. Chicks can go without food or water for three days. The sooner they get on food through the better, but dont sweat it if it has been 48hrs. They should be fine. I keep my humidity 45-50% first 18 days and raise it to 70% last three.

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I number my eggs then, I candle them and make notes before I set them. Notes help when you might have problems later. Then candle at 7 days, and 14 days, and 18 days. Make notes each candling![​IMG] Stop turning @day 18 then get the humidity up to 65-70% and dont open the bator during this time. After they dry off good you can remove them and do it ASAP if you have more eggs that have not hatched. I put them under a light that has a temp of 95* where the chicks are standing, and sprinkle feed on a paper towel, and have water nearby.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  5. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Thanks everyone!! I will take your advice and hope for the best when my little eggs get here and in the bator. Wish me good vibes for a successful hatch.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by