My First ayam cemani eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Griffin6659, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Griffin6659

Griffin6659 Just Hatched

Sep 25, 2016
    Harriman, T.N
    I'm posting this cause i got my first 12 eggs to start raising ayam cemani for sale...I already raise porcelain and Millie duccle and sarmas this is my finally breed for resale...I've researched them for a month...I love everything about them they are some of the most beautiful chickens in my opinion...I guess really i just started this thread for advice and getting ready for them..My wife and friends say I over pet my chickens as in I spend to much time cleaning up all the individual lots my breeders are in and the big lot with my layers..I have even had company say they have never seen chickens act the way mine do they don't run and they want to be petted and picked up..
    But back to the main topic does anyone have any advice on raising my ayam cemani..like is there any special foods or treats they prefer..
    also if anyone has advice on a new co-op bedding the pine shavings are so dusty my chickens sneeze the whole time they are trying to go to bed I don't like them being uncomfortable...I've only been raising them since last Feb.. so still plenty to learn

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I was debating between Ayam Cemani and Svart Hona...went with the SH because I asked someone who has both about personalities. They said the SH were a bit sweeter. Mine are about 3 months old now and very striking in appearance. Good luck with your eggs!

Personally, I think you should spend as much time with your chickens as you want (while still preserving family harmony). Even when I'm scraping manure off perches, I find it a great stress reliever to be with my birds. The added bonus of having birds that don't mind handling is that it is much easier to inspect and treat them as needed.

I use large pine shavings in my coop--my brand doesn't seem to be dusty--but some less dusty options are compressed hardwood pellets (equine bedding or stove), sand, and rice hulls. If you have a dirt floor, you can also practice a deep litter method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by