MY FIRST BABY BUNNIES!PICS ADDED!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by denasfarm, Oct 24, 2008.

1. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    We have our first baby bunnies born today! Californians and New Zealands
    Mom #1 Boo has 7 babies out of "Puppy" who was killed in the mass murder topic last month. Soooo We have Baby "Puppies" YAY! I will HAVE to keep one of those!

And Mom #2 Kitty has 8 babies from one of my other males "Fudge".
    Moms 3, 4 and 5 and due this weekend!

We peeked at the babies long enough to get a pic but I am afraid to really look at them and really dont want to touch them for fear of them being rejected or something worse.

How will I know if they are being well fed and cared for?
    What would I feed them IF something happens?

I will post pics when I get them uploaded. CUTE little naked babies!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Sorry, I don't know anything about rabbits, but I wanted to say Congrats! My daughter wants to get some, but DH says if she gets them, she has to be willing to eat them. So, we still don't have any.

3. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    The best way to tell if the babies are being fed is to check their stomach. Fat stomachs mean the babies are getting fed. You might never see mom in the nestbox. You should also check the nestbox in case you have stillborn babies. Congrats on your babies. I have some due in the next couple weeks.

4. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    LOL Congratz!!!
    The momma bunny will only go in the nestbox 1 or 2 times a day to start off, so if you dont see her in there dont freak out like I did! Check the babies everyday and see if they are gaining weight, thats going to be the best indicator on whether they are doing well. Be careful when you hold them because baby bunnies wiggle and jump and sometimes are hard to hold on to. Make sure the bedding in the nest stays warm and dry, you might have to change it every so often [​IMG] Congrats on your first babies, before you know it they will be running and jumping areound like crazy!!

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Not peeking too much is a good thing, especially the first week. What I used to do was one thorough check of kits and nest. Put vanilla on your clean hands, do what you need to satisfy your curiousity and clean up if need be, then rub a good dab of vanilla over the Mom's nose, too-- by the time it all wears off, the kits will smell of Mom again, not people.

6. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Thanks for the info!
    I just got in from work and I am heading out with a flashlight to peek again! 3 litters before I left this morning! (7,8,and8 I think LOL they are hard to count without touching them)Two to go unless they are waiting for me inthe barn!
    I will post back if I have more tonight and pics coming as soon!

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* [​IMG] Hope they are all good, and tucked in tight.

8. denasfarm

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Boo and Puppy Babies
    [​IMG]

Kitty and Fudge Babies
    [​IMG]

9. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    Very cute! Congrats! I've got 5 litters due in 2 wks. I breed and show mini rexes and lionheads!

Also, you will know if they haven't been fed not only by their bellies, but you will hear their cries. (doesn't count if your checking on them, they will think your mom.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by