My first baby chick hatched!! Question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kbruce, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Kbruce

Kbruce In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    North Carolina
    So so excited my first time hatching and we got a little Araucana that hatched this morning and doing well! [​IMG]
    We also have 6 Cochin eggs one has been pipping all day but not much progress...trying to be patient and wait but I'm getting nervous...I have question to all you experienced hatchers out there! The chick that has hatched keeps pecking at the hole where the other egg has pipped, can that hurt or kill the unhatched chick? She hears it peeping so keeps coming near it then starts pecking quite hard at it!

Thanks for you're response in advance!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That chick will motivate the hatching chick to keep going. It's fine! Keep that incubator closed, now! You don't want to release that high humidity!

Congrats and take care! Happy Thanksgiving,
    Sharon

3. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Songster

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Yea, hearing the other babies gets them excited and you definitely want that. I wouldn't worry about it, I have heard it can take 24 hours or so to hatch. It might rest a while and then start again. Seriously don't open the incubator right now because, it would shrink wrap your pipped baby. It it definitely better to have the other baby pecking at it then having it shrink wrapped. One more thing unfortunately if the baby doesn't make it out of the egg it is probably because, something is wrong with it and being someone who has done a assist hatch before, I found it was a bad idea. Baby had deformed legs and was not compatable with life. I tried to save it but, there was no saving it. So do your self a favor, don't try to assist. If it is a healthy baby it will get out as long as you don't open the incubator lid. I know some will agree with me but, thats okay. I wish you the best of luck. [​IMG]

Good luck.

4. Kbruce

Kbruce In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sharon thanks for your reply! The hatched chick has actually made the hole bigger and tore the membrane then started pecking her feathers! If this is good I'll leave her in there [​IMG] but I'm tempted to take her out for being so rough! Lol first time mom is very protective I guess [​IMG]

Thanks again!

5. Kbruce

Kbruce In the Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thank you both for the advice! I've only opened to add wet paper towels I've been tempted to assist since I've been watching all day and so little progress is frustrating and nerve racking! I literally had to go take a hot bath and drink a beer to keep from assisting but I don't wat to do any harm for sure I'll be crying for weeks... I'm so glad I asked for advice I feel better now and thanks for allowing me to benefit from youre experiences! I will leave them alone and hope for the best [​IMG]

6. spotlikeschicks

spotlikeschicks In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    AR
    I am still fairly new at the hatching game as well. The first hatch-lings I had did the same thing but it didn't hurt any of the others. Do make sure to keep that humidity in the box.
    Good luck and congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by