My first baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunflour, Mar 16, 2013.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Today is my 3rd day as a new flock owner[​IMG]

Have wanted chickens for a few years, and now I have six 5 day old cuties. 3 buff orpingtons and 3 barred rocks. They are supposed to be all female...as I have read on BYC posts, only time will tell. I had not planned on selecting all heavies, but just love them. I am fortunate to have a friend who is a retired home builder, and with my husband's help our coop is shaping up and will be ready long before the gals need it.

BYC have given me the confidence to give this a try.

A very special thanks to Baldessarician for the Wichita Cabin Coop inspiration and to all who have shared their photos and details.

Thanks to all info offered by BYC forums, your articles, experiences, and photos have made this happen. There is an overwhelming amount of information available on this site which has been, for me, a necessary supplement to my ever growing chicken reference library.

BUT, even with months of studying, I am really shocked at how much poop they generate at ONLY 5 DAYS OLD ! I have cleaned 3 pasty butts thus far. While holding the first, I learned how far the poop can fly out of the vent, only missed my face by a fraction of an inch. My reaction was excitement that the poop shoot was intact, but with the subsequent tasks I changed their trajectory.

I have them in a 55 gallon bin converted for brooding. Currently using newspaper covered with paper towels and it is working well. References state to change over to pine shavings at a few days vs 1 week vs 2 weeks or longer. ?? When should I change to pine shavings, and can I continue to use newspaper lining with shavings on top???

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Be careful with newspaper, no traction can cause spraddle leg (they can quickly dig down through shavings). I've started mine on pine shavings (the big flakes not the fine ones) with paper towels on top for a day or 2. Once they are eating well and know where the food is I don't worry about it.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I used a towel the first night. Sand since then. Sand has been great. You'll just need to find a scoop that will get tiny chick or trampled chick poop. Reptile scoop has been suggested. I'm using a fine mesh insect net from the dollar bins at target.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I like the idea of sand, that's what will be in their run and thinking about using in the coop as well. They are in a plastic bottom, AKA storage bin. how deep should the sand be? Should I place anything over the plastic floor before adding sand??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by