MY FIRST BABY PEA!!!

crazypoultrychx

Chirping
6 Years
May 13, 2013
New Orleans LA
its so freaking cute.....and it hatched on sat night sunday morning....it is so freaking cute....but now I need your advise....there were 5 eggs in the nest only 2 were left only one hatched.....so after 3 days of following mommy and baby around to make sure everything is alright my 9yr DD caught the baby and we suckered the momma into the cage and closed the door w food and water......is it better to have mom and baby together even thou mom hates being in a cage or would it be better to turn her out....I dont want to run the risk of losing the baby.......

wwyd?

When you say "cage" I hope you mean a pen, not a little wire dog crate or something, which is what I picture when I hear "cage". If you are talking about a pen, then I can say we used to do this all the time when we free ranged, if a hen hatched babies we would corral them all in a pen, we had a lot of barn cats that would have gladly eaten the babies so we had to. We never had any problems with them adjusting, as long as she was with her babies, and there was food and water(in a shallow dish to prevent drowning) the hens were generally happy. There are so many dangers out there for free ranging babies and since you only have one, it's not like you can afford to take any chances, if it was me I would pen them, just make sure the wire has small enough holes that the baby can't get thru it.

since i free range everything anytime I pen anything up to me it is being caged.....but yes...they are in a sand bottom 12x12 pen with roof and light....a chick feeder and waterer....mom kept flying on top of a building to see her mate and left baby on the ground and it was screaming so I got worried she my not be experienced enough.....also she was kicking my other birds tail feathers everywhere....

Since you have mom and baby in the pen, I would definitely keep them in for a while.
Mom may seem unhappy, but for free ranging peas, the most dangerous time for the babies is the period before they can fly well enough to get off the ground and out of reach of predators.
I'd say keep them in for a month. This advice is just from my own experience, including the recent loss of some 9 day old free ranging peababies.
sad.png

Since you have mom and baby in the pen, I would definitely keep them in for a while.
Mom may seem unhappy, but for free ranging peas, the most dangerous time for the babies is the period before they can fly well enough to get off the ground and out of reach of predators.
I'd say keep them in for a month. This advice is just from my own experience, including the recent loss of some 9 day old free ranging peababies.
sad.png

thank you and will do!!! sorry for your loss :(

Back
Top Bottom