My first batch of sausage....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Dec 14, 2010.

1. BettyR

BettyR Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I just made my first batch of sausage with my new meat grinder that I was asking for help picking out about a week and a half ago. DH built me a new smoke house out of an old fish cleaning house that has been sitting on the property forever and we never used. He also did a little Red Neck engineering on the fire box but it works really well and it all used stuff we already had so the price was right...$0.00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Looks great!! When's dinner?

I missed your post about grinders. Which one did you get?

3. BettyR

BettyR Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I got this one 2.4 HP rated meat grinder. I just hope it lasts as well as my old one did.

[​IMG]

4. Lesa

Lesa Songster

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That looks utterly gorgeous!! Nice job! I am thinking of grinding up a bunch of misc venison and adding some pork sausage and spice to it... Does sausage have to be smoked?

5. Good job! My smoke house is still in the planning stage. lol

Lesa - sausage doesn't have to be smoked. Smoking meats used to be used as a method of long term storage without freezing. Now it's mostly used for flavor. Using different woods will give a different flavor to the sausage.

Steve

6. BettyR

BettyR Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Thanks Steve...DH, DS and DSIL all shot a deer on the same hunting trip. We're hip deep in deer meat so we needed the smoke house now and the building was already there it just needed a few renovations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by