My first batch of sausage....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Dec 14, 2010.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I just made my first batch of sausage with my new meat grinder that I was asking for help picking out about a week and a half ago. DH built me a new smoke house out of an old fish cleaning house that has been sitting on the property forever and we never used. He also did a little Red Neck engineering on the fire box but it works really well and it all used stuff we already had so the price was right...$0.00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Looks great!! When's dinner?

I missed your post about grinders. Which one did you get?

3. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I got this one 2.4 HP rated meat grinder. I just hope it lasts as well as my old one did.

[​IMG]

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That looks utterly gorgeous!! Nice job! I am thinking of grinding up a bunch of misc venison and adding some pork sausage and spice to it... Does sausage have to be smoked?

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Good job! My smoke house is still in the planning stage. lol

Lesa - sausage doesn't have to be smoked. Smoking meats used to be used as a method of long term storage without freezing. Now it's mostly used for flavor. Using different woods will give a different flavor to the sausage.

Steve

6. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Thanks Steve...DH, DS and DSIL all shot a deer on the same hunting trip. We're hip deep in deer meat so we needed the smoke house now and the building was already there it just needed a few renovations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by