My FIRST blue egg! Cracked and EATEN!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bridebeliever, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I was utterly thrilled [​IMG]and completely disappointed [​IMG] when my adopted Araucana of unknown age laid her first egg for me yesterday. I walked in to the coop around 8am to find in on the floor broken and half eaten! [​IMG] From the Araucana board the members guess her to be around two years old. Bless her and her crooked toes! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We adopted her from the local Humane Society.

[​IMG]

Today I went out to the coop and found her in one of the nesting boxes! [​IMG] Glory! And there she sat for TWO hours! [​IMG] I went out a little later and she was out pecking around with the rest of the flock (they free range), so I dash to the nesting box and...

[​IMG]

NOTHING!!! What?!?!?

Okay, I'm over it...so I go hang out with the chickens outside for a while...nice sunshine here in Western Washington, must take advantage of it! [​IMG]

Suddenly, The Duchess of Blue (yeah, that's her name [​IMG]) Let's out this little quiet "BOK!" and out pops an egg ONTO THE GROUND!!! [​IMG] What in the world?! She goes on about her merry business as if nothing as happened!! Okay, folks, I want to get over it! I have a BLUE EGG! My first ever! [​IMG] And when it hit the ground it didn't crack! [​IMG]

So, I don't know...is she dense? She knows an egg is coming but gives up after a while?? And then all of a sudden "SURPRISE!!!" it just falls out of her bottom?!?! [​IMG]

She obviously knows they are supposed to be deposited in the nesting box! Right?

Anyone else have this experience?

Here is a picture of her egg from today next to two from two of my other chickens...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. DeepDishChix

DeepDishChix Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    nice[​IMG]

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Congrats on the first egg! Since she just started laying, it may take her a while to figure out the whole routine.[​IMG] The duchess of blue is a very pretty hen!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  4. Bridebeliever

Thank you! She's very sweet too!

5. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    I often find eggs on the floor from my my Light Brahmas

6. Bridebeliever

So frustrating! I hope it stops!

7. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Mine haven't stopped he told me that two he found on the floor, one of the two I found where on the floor this morning just inside the door so that was 3 today alone

8. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    So how goes the egg hunt? any more blue?[​IMG]

9. Bridebeliever

She hung out in the nesting box today and left without laying anything. Which means she plopped it out somewhere on the property. We couldn't spend the time to watch her today.

10. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Oh what fun easter egg hunt early the little dickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by