My first blue egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whitewinterwolf, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I got so excited I started shaking the little thing like a maraca without even realizing it [​IMG]
    My Fiancee had to take it away saying, "Hun you know I dont like scrambled eggs..."
    Oh I am still so excited, my VV laid her first blue egg, yay! Ill post a picture tomorrow XD
    Pictures have been posted now [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Aren't they so exciting?! [​IMG] I know people get excited about their first egg, but for me, my first blue egg was the biggest thrill!

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh goodness yes!
    I was overly ecstatic, like a little kid that just woke up on Christmas and found presents XD

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Chickens make you happy.

5. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    My girls are about 17 weeks old. I have 4 "easter eggers" that are growing nicely. I have read that they need to be from 20 to 25 weeks old to start laying!

I am anticipating our first egg!! Not sure what to look for to when they are indicating they might be thinking of laying?

The first thing they need is to learn is that they have had a coop for 2 months and should start looking into moving in. They visit, but only for short periods of time and tend to stay and sleep outside. I must have homeless birds!?

Ah that first egg! Can't wait!

6. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    My chicks also would not roost in their coop at first. Mine have a roofed and fenced run, and liked to sleep in the corner, right up against the fence, which made me nervous. I waited until they were groggy at dusk, and slipped them one by one inside the coop. I did that for 2 nights. The third night - they were all in the coop when I went out to shift them. Now if I could just convince the other half to sleep on the roost!

I am waiting for my first blue egg too. I have a blue and a black Ameraucana. Sadly, it may be a long wait for me. I am fairly certain the black is a roo, and I am beginning to fear that the blue is as well. Might have to try again next year.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    The first egg is so exciting.....The first Blue Egg is 2x's exciting. Makes collecting eggs fun when you have a rainbow basket.

Congrats on your first blue egg! [​IMG]

8. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:My EEs all started laying at about 18 weeks, but I have a rooster and I've heard that they will lay earlier with a rooster around.

9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh yes yes! The blue eggs are ten times more exciting [​IMG]

10. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Quote:Some have said that they will enter the coop once the snow starts falling! Right now they are lined up on a roost outside the coop. Think I should pick them up and put them in the coop for the night? I have a roost in the coop too.
    Maybe a few nights of that might get them adjusted to sleeping in the coop? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by