1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my first broiler babies are unfortunately cute.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chooniecat, Sep 15, 2009.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    have 11 9 day old broiler chix from meyer and they are doing great(first time doing meat bb's) and took one out today to put it in grass(very warm here) and it turned to me and tried to hop on my foot. my son asked why I had to make it look cute when we have to process in 7 weeks. hey-they're babies-of course they're cute. not my fault but I certainly understand his feelings. they have to be moved in morning to permanent pen(will be set loose in few weeks to free range during evenings) because they are soooo dirty and growing like little coosh balls(spelling?) they will still have lamp on them and my dog ruby at night in chick shed to tell me if anythings amiss. will have to rethink my broiler pen if they really do get that large. will try to figure out pix on here again soon. so proud.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    They'll get homly soon.[​IMG]

3. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    They get huge. Don't keep any unless you want a chicken the size of the largest Butterball turkey !! here's a 1 1/2 year old broiler Big Moe

[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Yep, you can say that again. Imagine that akward teen stage layer... just instead of 8 ounces, 8 lbs.

5. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I have already convinced myself that ,for curiosity sake, I may keep one. hopefully a female so I won't have to protect my legs if I go out. I know-NOT all roosters are permanently mean but the cockadoodleing has become issue also. anyhoo-big moe is gorgeous(I think that about all chickens, I swear)and can NOT make a habit of keeping pet chickens(well-the layers are pets to the point we talk to them and name them and hold them and pet them-my gosh)putting 10 day old broilers into big pen today. they're all bright and chubby this morning and the weather is beatiful.[​IMG]:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by