My first brooder!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joeyfender, Mar 3, 2013.

1. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just finished setting it up! My only issue is that the bulb is 250 watts. May be a problem. The bedding is organic and very soft. All supplies from TSC.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi You are right to be concerned. The bulbs get Very Hot and can be a serious fire hazard. If you can attach it to a chair or something solid and raise it up higher above the brooder - it will be less hot at chick level and much safer. If it points straight down so, only one end is warmed - the chicks will move to were it is most comfortable for them.The chicks need to be able to move away from the heat if, they are too warm. A heat lamp can cook chicks very quickly so, it is a good idea to put a brooder thermometer in at chick level so, you know it is ok for chicks. Good Luck

For new chicks - put paper towels over the shaving until the chicks figure out what to eat and it will make walking easier for them until their legs are stronger.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. joeyfender

joeyfender Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    Texas
    I changed out the bulb to a 100 watter. I will move the light onto a chair or something. Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by