My first broody - a bantam brahma hen (questions about winter)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Eggcellent, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    Well my wife went to collect eggs and almost got her hand ripped off by our sweet little bantam buff brahma hen. My wife could see at least one egg under her. It is about to hit the heart of winter here and I am not sure what to do. Can she keep the chicks warm enough during a brutal Michigan winter? I do have a separate coop and enclosure she could be moved to if need be.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a pullet bantam that is still taking care of her chicks. I'm sure momma will know just what to do with the little ones when they hatch.

3. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Two things. First it depends on the shelter they have...elements and other chickens. Secondly on how good of a mother she is. Does she stay no matter what? Some leave the chicks after they are only two weeks old some mother for life. Some abandon the eggs and some can raise a hatch on a cement floor.

Another thing to consider is that it can be hard on her too during an already difficult time of year.

Babies are wonderful and maybe she can do it.

4. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    We have a nice solid coop that is draft free and well ventilated. It is not heated but I could put a heat lamp in the other coop and just leave mom+chicks in it.

I am inclined to let her try. This is our first broody and we are very interested in seeing a mom with baby chicks.

5. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    let her try. i have two broody silkies and i am in the same shape as far as weather goes. the smaller the area she has the better, just keep food and water close by and she should do fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by