My first broody buster....i'm nervous

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cloverdalehens, Jan 2, 2013.

1. cloverdalehens

cloverdalehens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    Richardson Tx
    I've got a red laced wyendotte that's been broody for about four days now (she's one of six chickens). I've tried to take her off and free range her but she keeps going back. I've even locked her out of the coop and she just sits by the door and freaks out. I took her out of her nesting box tonight and put her into the broody buster. She has food and water and a little pvc roost. I've got her in the garage w/ the light on and she is not happy about it. Am I doing anything wrong? I know she isn't supposed to be comfortable but I also don't want to majorly stress her out.

Any advice or comfort you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

All the chickens are 9 months old, have been with us since 5 weeks, and have been laying since October.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. She will not be happy, but she will be fine. You are not doing anything wrong.

1 person likes this.
  3. cloverdalehens

Feb 17, 2012
    Richardson Tx
    Thanks for the support! Should I leave the light on 24/7? She was quiet for a little while but she's back at crowing like a rooster. I think the garage was a bad idea...sleeping is gonna be tough.

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd turn the light off and hope that she settles down for the night.

1 person likes this.
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I hope you got some sleep!

She's gonna fuss, but that's OK. And turn off the light so she settles down. It's not good for any animal to have a light on all night--no dark period is a source of stress.

Now in the spring, maybe you can let her go broody? My best broody hens, the nastiest and most protective, were hatchery blue-laced red Wyandottes. Other broodies let other hens crowd into their nests, or kill the newly hatched chicks, but not my Wyandottes! They were awesome moms.

6. cloverdalehens

Feb 17, 2012
    Richardson Tx
    She's doing we'll. calmed down and is eating and drinking. I forgot she was in the garage this morning and she scared te heck outta me when i went to grab something out of the dryer.

I'd love for her to go broody in spring but I don't have room for more chicks.

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Good that she settled down. Go ahead start planning another coop for the spring brood. [​IMG] We're all enablers here.

8. cloverdalehens

Feb 17, 2012
    Richardson Tx
    Any advice on reintroducing her to the coop?

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Toss her in. [​IMG]

Honestly, she hasn't been gone too long. She should settle back into the pecking order with few problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by