My First Broody Hen Has Her First Hatched Chick!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lolliegee, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I was shocked when she went broody, since she's one of my young ones, but it solved a dilemma that I had. My mom wants to start raising chickens again (after many, many years) but didn't have an incubator. My hen went broody and problem solved! She has 19 (yes, 19!) eggs under and I have had to go every day and remove new ones. She's got a mix of a couple RIRs, a few Red Stars and mostly EEs. I'm not too hopeful with the EEs, I've candled them, but have been surprised by how much more difficult they were to see in. I haven't seen movement in most of them, but we'll see. No smelly ones, so I'm leaving them for now.

The first to hatch is a Red Star. Not sure if they sex link is still there, since we've got a Red Star Rooster, so I don't know what sex it is, but it sure is cute!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Absolutely adorable.

I just bought an incubator cuz mine aren't going broody. Thus I've just guaranteed one will go broody now.

Want...............more................chickens.................(already talkin to DH about building me another coop/run) Hopelessly addicted.

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    OMG that chick is cute!

Congrats on your first baby. I hope you have lots more out of their shells tomorrow.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by