My First Broody Hen's First Hatched Chick!! **More Chicks & Pics**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lolliegee, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Lolliegee

Lolliegee Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I was shocked when she went broody, since she's one of my young ones, but it solved a dilemma that I had. My mom wants to start raising chickens again (after many, many years) but didn't have an incubator. My hen went broody and problem solved! She has 19 (yes, 19!) eggs under and I have had to go every day and remove new ones. She's got a mix of a couple RIRs, a few Red Stars and mostly EEs. I'm not too hopeful with the EEs, I've candled them, but have been surprised by how much more difficult they were to see in. I haven't seen movement in most of them, but we'll see. No smelly ones, so I'm leaving them for now.

The first to hatch is a Red Star. Not sure if they sex link is still there, since we've got a Red Star Rooster, so I don't know what sex it is, but it sure is cute!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    It's always such fun to see your first hen hatched chick. I still remember how excited I was when I saw two little legs dangling down from the moms feathers when i popped her up to check the eggs!

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i love to see the chicks hatched.

but can you see the eggs like in your picture? the eggs can't fit at all under her, that will result in dead chicks and many won't hatch since she always turning them. hope you understand it. you need an incubator to help her handle the other unfitted eggs.

4. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Oh no, you can't usually see the eggs like that. I had just moved her and she was just settling back in on her eggs. All of the eggs (except the two Rhodies) were pretty small, otherwise I would never have let that many eggs be under her. These were all from young hens who only started laying in late June/early July.

5. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Cute little baby![​IMG]

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Nice hen letting you put your hand in there like that. Mine would peck ya hard. Cute pics. I would be careful and not disturb her to much till she gets up on her own.

7. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I've worked with her the whole time she's been sitting. Wanted to make sure she'd let me handle her and not get upset, so I could check while the eggs were hatching. Since the eggs were from such young hens, I wanted to be sure and be able to candle them. Also, I've got kids who I knew would want to be able to see the babies. I'm the only one that touches her, but she doesn't seem to mind too much. She grumbles a little at me, but settles down after I pet her a few times.

I've 3 more babies and one more hatching, plus 4 more brown eggs (Red Star or RIR) and 2 EE eggs...

I had to throw out most of the EE eggs last night. I candled one and realized that the air cell was moving around. So, I opened that one up and realized it hadn't developed at all. Once I did that, I knew what to look for with the other ones. I've only got two still under her, but I'm not optimistic.

Any ideas why all of the EE eggs wouldn't develop? I've checked them frequently for fertility (when I'm cooking them) so I know they're fertile. They're the same age as the Red Stars that are hatching fine. So, I don't get it. I'm quite bummed, as I was hoping to keep a couple of the EEs for myself. Now, I don't even know if I'll have any. [​IMG]

8. Lolliegee

Dec 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Thought I'd add some new pics and video. I've got six babies so far, two more brown eggs almost hatched and the two EE eggs left. Still no idea if there's any hope for them. I sure hope so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by