My first broody saga...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Doctamomma, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Doctamomma

Doctamomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2015
    My hen decided that it was time for her to have babies, she lost her first batch, so I returned her and she continued to be broody and hoarding eggs. I let her have five, candled at day 16, culled two eggs (first time around one was cracked and it contaminated the other eggs when it ruptured). She has 3 eggs now and it is day 19. I am hearing peeping. She did have a bowel movement on the eggs a few days ago, I wiped them off and then put them back, do you think they have a shot at surviving? ANyone have this happen with a successful outcome?

Missy

2. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    If you're hearing peeping, I'd say you have a good shot at getting some chicks! However, I am also kind of worried. If you have less than two chicks when they hatch, your chicken could have some social issues when it is older.

3. Doctamomma

Jun 16, 2015
    I know what you mean.....I was sad when two did not develop completely, one stopped at about day 13 based on size when I looked inside the egg, the other stopped earlier and was liquefied. Hoping the remaining three are successful. I guess time will tell. I have only had experience with an incubator, so this has been an education.

4. allosaurusrock

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    [​IMG] I've never hatched before, but I can imagine the experience is nerve wracking.

5. Doctamomma

Jun 16, 2015
    We have one so far, you can see the[​IMG] leg, her mom is quite happy!

6. Doctamomma

Jun 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. allosaurusrock

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]WOOOHOOO!!! Hopefully at least one more will come!

1 person likes this.
  8. missbrit2006

missbrit2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    My chickens 3 have been laying on the same nest that I just found 2 days ago. It was outside there coop I've been letting them free range but all hens come back and lay eggs I knew some weren't because I was short eggs well I found the nest by accident which has 29 eggs. I moved the best at dark and put the three hens who have been sitting on the nest in there's what should I do? Will they continue to sit is that to many eggs first time

9. Doctamomma

Jun 16, 2015
    Did you candle any? Any idea how old. I think with 3 hens, as long as they all sit, you will be ok.

10. Doctamomma

Jun 16, 2015
    I have to say that my broody hen has changed my mind about incubators being the best way to hatch eggs. I absolutely love see the interaction between the chick and mom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by