My first broody. :( turns to :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bakerjw, Oct 25, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    Last week I noticed one of our girls (TSC sex link pullets) was sitting on a nest late in the day. They usually all lay before noon so it seemed unusual. After a few days of this behavior I knew that indeed I had a broody hen on my hands. We have the 8 girls and they've been real good egg producers for us this year (8 for 8 most days) so losing eggs from one of them wouldn't be that big of a deal. Then the most amazing thing happened on Saturday. We have 5 Silver Sebrights and 5 White Leghorns that we allow to free range the property. On Saturday I found a nest of theirs with 12 eggs in it. I know that they've not been sitting on them as they're rarely in one spot for long with all of the people around our house (people = food giving).

So one broody hen + 12 fertilized eggs = a chance that I may have some chicks hatching in the not too distant future. It may be a long shot but I'll give it a chance and see what happens.

My question now is. Should I move the broody hen up into the garage where she won't be disturbed and we can keep an eye on her and the chicks? At night the other 7 girls get up on the roost but she stays on the nest.

I'm just an expectant chick parent I guess.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Moving a broody, IME, just breaks the broodiness. Some report they have gotten away with it at night. You will probably have to lock her into the nest, at least at first.

Good luck.

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I moved my broody and had no problems. I just waited 3 days to move her, then waited until she settled on the fake eggs to give her the real eggs. I'm glad I separated her, because the others would have bullied her off the nest to lay their eggs. I moved her again after all the eggs hatched, as one of the babies was pecked in the eye by an adult through the chicken wire. They are now happy in their own little coop all by themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by