My first broody-What do I do now?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bwebb7, Feb 10, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I have a white wyandotte that was trying very hard to hatch a golf ball. So I went ahead and gave her a clutch of 6 eggs to set on. She is very contented (cranky when you get near) to take care of those eggs. The eggs I gave her yesterday were an assortment and I wrote the date on them. Today I found another egg under her and I took that one in-is that O.K?
    I put food and water in front of her and she pecks at me the whole time I'm making her life better!
    Our nesting boxes (2) are next to each other about 18-20 inches off the ground and they are covered with cloth (we had a little prob with egg eating) So now some of the girls have taken to laying under the boxes-(about 8 under the nests and 8 in the one on the right) This hen is parked right under the right nest box so I put a piece of wood up to keep her from being bothered-she can go anywhere if she wants -should I just leave her there? Will she be able to protect her bitties ok from the other (17) hens?
    what is the best way to handle this?

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Yes, take any new eggs away, those chicks will hatch too late, and she may leave them. I would seperate her from all the other hens, the chicks are too high off the ground and the other hens will kill the chicks. Put her in a big cage or a spare coop.

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    You may want to separate her from the other hens while she is broody because, if she isn't at the top of the pecking order. Your head hen will get her out of there and pick on her. Now if that is to much work and she is your head hen she will do fine as long as the food and water stays.

4. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    thanks for the responses-
    Brooster- she is under the nest boxes on the floor in deep shavings
    kinda behind the curtains that drape off of the boxes above
    Thanks again

5. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i would still move her, you dont want your little chicks to get hurt.

6. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    O.K. thanks
    -messin with my head? you changed avatars on me!

7. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    No i didn't.

[​IMG] ok now im messing with your head! [​IMG]

8. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Definately seperate her! It can be as simple as a large cardboard box with some ventilation holes poked in it, as long as the box is kept somewhere safe, such as in the coop or a garage/shed, wherever a predator can't get to the box. If you leave her in the coop it will cause nothing but trouble. Been there, done that. Not fun! I always seperate mine now. Good luck! Wish I had a broody right now! You lucky duck LOL.
    P.S. It is best to move her at night. It is less stressful on the hen and makes her less likely to abandon the nest or try to get back to the nest that she was setting on before.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    No i didn't.

I thought your avatar was a double breasted red bird thingy??

Do I need to seperate her now? or is a few days ok? My b-day is March 1-I think they will hatch March 2?
    (they were started yesterday)​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by