My first broody...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Country Gal, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I missed my daily visits to the message board! DF and I headed to Tennessee last week to get hitched, and when we came back Monday night, we found ourselves a broody hen!

I have no idea at this point how many eggs she's got under her or how long she's been sitting (we were out of town for 6 days). Some of my hens are still laying the pullet eggs so I'm not even sure if she's sitting on "viable" eggs!

I ordered some hatching eggs off e-bay this morning to give her. I figured that this would be as good an opportunity as any to try and introduce a different breed into the flock, so I ordered some Welsummer eggs.

Wish me luck!

2. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Congrats on getting hitched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that is just not fair... LOL... I am still waiting for my girl to go broody LOL... How old did you say yours was???

That sounds like an awesom idea with the eggs... I am trying to talk DH into getting some Welsummers next spring! Sure are pretty.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  3. Country Gal

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Without pulling out the calendar, I think she's about 26 or 27 weeks old? Give or take... I got them the weekend of April 21st...

She's been broody for at least 5 days, maximum of 9 days, depending on when she went broody while I was out of town. I've only seen her off the nest once so far this week. I'm kind of worried about her - her comb and wattles are getting really faded. I think she's getting dehydrated? I tried putting food and water in the nest with her and she just knocked them right out...

I'm impatiently waiting for my eggs to arrive...

Don't worry Windy... it will happen for you too! Don't forget, yours and mine were "practicing" a few weeks ago! I'm just hoping that she doesn't get bored with it part way through and break the broodiness...

4. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Okay... I think I have my first broody on my hands... but not too sure. All indications say she is... puffing up, growling, not getting out of the nest. She has maybe 4 eggs under her. Should I ass a couple more? Hey, can I take eggs from today that I put in fridge, let them warm up and put a couple more under her?

And guess what... its not my buff orp.... it's one of my barred rocks LOL...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You could try taking them from the fridge if they haven't been in that long. Please do be nice and let them come to room temp before you freeze her little chickie-buns, LOL. My friend Kate has a Barred Rock that goes broody frequently and my two BR pullets who are just now beginning to lay are possibly her daughters. Wonder if they'll go broody. All these chickens I have and so far only one has really been psycho-broody. A couple have threatened for a few weeks but never did go over the edge.

6. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Please do be nice and let them come to room temp before you freeze her little chickie-buns, LOL

[​IMG] yes, I will be nice!!!! I will bring them to room temp tomorrow! OR, would it be better to choose a couple tomorrow and slide them under her??? Will she still lay even being broody??? I dont think I have ever asked that question LOL..... Okay... Now, I just hope and pray she does not stop in the middle of this... I do not have a bator!!!!​

7. speckledhen

She will stop laying maybe a couple days into sitting, at least that's what my Sunny did. After she quits laying and stays on the nest rather than going to roost, she's serious then.

8. Country Gal

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I think it would be a better bet to get some eggs that are laid tomorrow and stick them under her rather than pulling from the fridge...

Good luck!!!

I'm surprised your BO hasn't gone broody yet after her behavior a few weeks ago! I'm going to try giving mine some more food and water tomorrow... hopefully my eggs will arrive too!

Will she still lay even being broody???

I thought I read a while back on another post that they would lay for a bit until they had a decent clutch under them. If that's the case, my hen is doing it wrong - I think she's only sitting on 1 egg!!!​

9. Country Gal

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Ooohh Speckled Hen! Are you selling the blue orpington eggs? DH is building me an incubator for Christmas, and I'd love to get some of those in my flock down the road!

10. speckledhen

Yes, I am. Several people have them right now incubating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by