My First Broody!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frizzle Farmer, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    This is my 3 year old Buff Orp, "Buffy". I have been wishing, praying, and hoping for a hen to go broody for years! She's only on her second day. She has 6 Frizzle crosses under(her own, americuana, and black cochin). I'm so excited, I had to share this great news with my BYC friends!
    [​IMG]

2. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Very Cool, Congrats!! How did you happen to time it so you could put those under her? Was it just a happy coincidence?

3. Frizzle Farmer

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Two I "stole" from the girls this morning, and put under her. The other ones we're from hens who just sat on her and layed their eggs! Everyone still insists on using that box even though there is 5 more boxes available!!!

4. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    What a Hoot! I hope all goes well!

5. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I just gave five day-old chicks to my broody 2-yr old BO - she's been broody for a month. She immediately took to them and is being such a good mama! Lots of pix on my blog (see my signature) if you want to see them.

6. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I love broodies. They look like gelatinous globs all spread out like that! So cute.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, Congrats. Now you have to make some decisions. You can`t let the other girls add to her clutch, so you either have to mark her present eggs and remove the fresh ones daily, or you have to move her to a private location, away from the others. I preffer the private location for the simple reason she needs to be moved to ground level, anyway. Why, you ask? Chicks cannot enter and leave an elevated nest. So, if and when you move her, do it at night with as little stress as possible. That way she will wake up in the morning and all should be well. Good luck..........Pop

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Squishy - that's exactly how mine looks! Like someone back-combed her feathers almost. And I noticed how she kind of droops her wings as she shepherds them around - I presume to use them as a shield if need be. So cool!

9. Frizzle Farmer

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    Since the other girls wont stop laying on her, I will mark the eggs and take the fresh ones out daily. I get to re load the incubator next Tues, so I'll need to save some for breakfast and some for hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by