1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first Buff Brahma

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bbhorsefly, Sep 1, 2015.

1. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    I got two little Buff Brahma when they were about a week old. They were both the same size, just one light and one dark so we could tell them apart. They are about a month old now and I've noticed some significant differences. The dark is not growing as fast. Dark has more developed wing feathers and no neck feather growth. The light has gotten huge. He stands as tall as some Buckeyes that are 2-3 weeks older. He's all legs. Big wide legs. He's the closest looking chick I've seen to a velociraptor in body. He has fuzz on his wings still, but has very defined feathers on his neck. So is it looking like the light is a cockerel and the dark is a pullet? I know it's probably too early to tell for sure. And I don't even really pay attention until I see very pronounced differences between individuals. So far, I've been right with all my other breeds, but these are my first Brahma and the first time I've seen such size/proportion difference. Anyone care to offer an opinion? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    Darker bird in top 3 and last pic looks like a BSL pullet i have some like it from a BO roo X BR hen cross. Not sure if this is chick you are referring to.

3. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    The dark bird in top 3 pics and last one is a BSL pullet. I have some of them from a BO roo X BR hen cross. They grow quickly.

4. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    The lighter of the two appears to have a triple rowed pea comb which almost always indicates cockerel. I can't see the comb of the darker one.

5. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    I'm so curious why you would say it's a bsl when I told you they are buff brahma? They both looked/look exactly as buff brahma chicks should look.

So the size desparity appears to have gotten even greater. They are maturing as I've read Brahma will, VERY slowly! Here are some recent picture:

Chick #1 "Lightning" the giant suspected boy...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here he is with a Splash Orp and a Buckeye that are both 2-3 weeks older.
    [​IMG]
    This is him in the fore with his "sister" behind him.
    [​IMG]

Chick #2: the smaller and previously darker chick...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  6. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    I agree with your guesses on Lightning being a cockerel and chick #2 being a pullet. :)

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    x2

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

9. Cajoledn2it

Cajoledn2it Out Of The Brooder

I have a Light Brahma and a Buff Brahma, both are 32 weeks old now. The Light is huge in comparison to the Buff and they came from the same hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by