My first bumble foot ugh....

Newfowler1

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
Purcellville Virginia
My Blue Swedish developed some limping and yup upon flipping the duck I found a very swollen foot. Ball of the flipper I guess you’d call it?

So after reading piles of info I finally settled on some epsom salt baths. First two must not have been long enough. She’s a big girl so I hesitated using a bucket at first but it’s really the ticket I must say. I didn’t have to hold her the entire 15 minutes.

That nasty booger of a kernel finally popped off without much pressure or picking. I’d say it was 5-7mm across and half as deep, leaving a rather large hole behind.
I gentled squeezed and tried to express any puss or other tissue but did not see anything surface. She had some very minor bleeding. After several more cleanings with betadyne and first aid vet spray I dried the wound and added some antibiotic ointment. Bandaged up she still favors the flipper a bit but doesn’t seem to make the sharp quick moves associated with sharp pain.

How often does one need to remove this kernel and go back into the foot? How do ya know you got it all??

Tomorrow am I’ll check her bandage and possibly soak her flipper again for 20-30 minutes. I am afraid there is more stuff in there and want to do whatever I can to get her some relief.

I would really like to give her an antibiotic shot. My SS didn’t have any penicillin ? procaine I’ve seen recommendEd.
I am hoping to find some at Tractor Supply tomorrow. I’ve seen dose recommendactions from .25-1.0cc. I am hoping I can find the best needle size and dose recommendations for a big gal before too soon.
Ive did order a pair of Birdy Booties, and a single from another site, hopefully the stock isn’t completely depleted and I’m waiting months... Regardless I’ll be putting another kit together when this pops back up I’ll be prepared with everything including flipper boots and better bandage material.

Here is a pic of Scuba 2. Mom is a pure Blue Swedish, & dad?? Either a Cayuga or Welsh Harlequin. Her eggs are pure white almost but not quite as large as her Mums. That makes me think her Papa was a Welsh, no dark grey cuticle on egg and not JumboXX Pterodactyl sized eggs😆

Attachments

• C21AECD6-74F4-4398-9D02-FD15072FBC10.jpeg
    C21AECD6-74F4-4398-9D02-FD15072FBC10.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
It sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of your duck!

I always took my ducks took the vet when they had bumbles, and the vet prescribed oral antibiotics. I'm not sure about injectables.

One thing that helped my ducks a lot was very soft surfaces to stand on and walk on.

Bumble Foot Blues Update:

I took the afternoon off and checked on Scuba’s flipper. The foot appears to still be a bit swollen however the wound seams to be healing nicely. There was a scab but no different than what I’d see on a person and definitely not black and fugly like the kernel I removed.

I soaked poor ol’ Scuba in a drywall bucket with 3” of epsom salt solution for 25 minutes. After her spa treatment I checked the scab out to see if it was softened enough to lift and check to see if any fluid or puss was accumulated in there. I could find nothing. I did this gently at first and gave it only a few harder squeezin’s as I didn’t want to hurt the poor gal.

I did order a pair of Birdy Booties and a single booty from two different vendors with hopes one will ship out faster than the other. I think I should have them on hand at all times as I imagine before too long I’ll be singing The Bumble Foot Blues again

My Blue Swedish developed some limping and yup upon flipping the duck I found a very swollen foot. Ball of the flipper I guess you’d call it?

So after reading piles of info I finally settled on some epsom salt baths. First two must not have been long enough. She’s a big girl so I hesitated using a bucket at first but it’s really the ticket I must say. I didn’t have to hold her the entire 15 minutes.

That nasty booger of a kernel finally popped off without much pressure or picking. I’d say it was 5-7mm across and half as deep, leaving a rather large hole behind.
I gentled squeezed and tried to express any puss or other tissue but did not see anything surface. She had some very minor bleeding. After several more cleanings with betadyne and first aid vet spray I dried the wound and added some antibiotic ointment. Bandaged up she still favors the flipper a bit but doesn’t seem to make the sharp quick moves associated with sharp pain.

How often does one need to remove this kernel and go back into the foot? How do ya know you got it all??

Tomorrow am I’ll check her bandage and possibly soak her flipper again for 20-30 minutes. I am afraid there is more stuff in there and want to do whatever I can to get her some relief.

I would really like to give her an antibiotic shot. My SS didn’t have any penicillin ? procaine I’ve seen recommendEd.
I am hoping to find some at Tractor Supply tomorrow. I’ve seen dose recommendactions from .25-1.0cc. I am hoping I can find the best needle size and dose recommendations for a big gal before too soon.
Ive did order a pair of Birdy Booties, and a single from another site, hopefully the stock isn’t completely depleted and I’m waiting months... Regardless I’ll be putting another kit together when this pops back up I’ll be prepared with everything including flipper boots and better bandage material.
It seems when it comes to ducks, unless you’re lucky enough to have a vet willing to try to treat your duck, you’re pretty much on your own! Goosie, my 15lb jumbo Pekin had a severed case of bumble foot this past winter. He was really sick and I was so worried...did soaks...no improvement so I gathered supplies and with help to hold him...he reclined nicely and really didn’t need much holding😀, I had to cut the kernel out. I did an ok job but with the help of betadine, antibiotic ointment, gauze, and vet wrap we got thru it! I made a waterproof bootie for him to wear in the snow, and found how to make a neoprene bootie online with neoprene can cozies! This all went in for a month! Every night! On towels on the kitchen table! And then all the snuggles afterwards just melted my heart! Sounds like you did an awesome job with your duck! ❤️

It seems like your doing a great job!

Unfortunately, no bumble foot case is the same and each duck fights it differently. At least once a year, I'll have a duck with bumble foot that takes over a month to get rid of. I take them to the vet, but depending on how deep the infection is, it can be a one trip visit with antibiotics or turn into a 4 trip marathon to get it all out and for all the swelling to go down fully.

It's a roll of the dice. But finding someone who can prescribe antibiotics helps a lot when treating the harder cases.

It seems like your doing a great job!

Unfortunately, no bumble foot case is the same and each duck fights it differently. At least once a year, I'll have a duck with bumble foot that takes over a month to get rid of. I take them to the vet, but depending on how deep the infection is, it can be a one trip visit with antibiotics or turn into a 4 trip marathon to get it all out and for all the swelling to go down fully.

It's a roll of the dice. But finding someone who can prescribe antibiotics helps a lot when treating the harder cases.
Yes it’s the swelling that I’m concerned about. Headed to Tractor Supply today to get some injectable penicillin. She is up and walking much better today. I let her out with the flock for a few hours before I change her bandage and put her back in the isolation ward 😆

Back
Top Bottom