1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first button quail hens eggs are Pipping!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Sep 13, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I've hatched one button quail before this, but I bought a pair of bqs (young) and the hen just reciently stopped laying for the year (she's outside so she stopped with the change of lighting)...anywhoo... she has two eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow and BOTH have pip holes!! YES!!! [​IMG]

*does a happy dance!* [​IMG]

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Congrats![​IMG] I havent hatched any yet, are they really about the size of bumble bees when they emerge?

3. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:mostly! [​IMG] I'd say they're a tiny tiny bit bigger than a bumblebee (when tehy're fluffed out) but all naked and wet just hathced, i'd say yeah, puta big bumblebee beside one and the bumblebee would more than likely be the "heavy weight' [​IMG] Their eggs are so tiny...a little longer than a dime [​IMG]

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Congrats! I cant wait to get my quail eggs. Hope to see some pics of the cuties

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:ofcourse i will im a picture aholic, i just havent' yet since it's very hard to see the pip crack and I will be going grocery shopin soon so more than likely you'll get to see the end result! [​IMG] I was wrong tho only one of the two is pipped oh well if i only get one chick that's fine with me i have a ton more coming from teh same pair of birds ha ha! (just due on diff days). [​IMG]

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Yeah! Congrats!!! I've never seen mine actually pip. One minute there's nothing, then the next they are hatched and running around! Shouldn't be long once they start!

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    well I was wrong the one wasnt pipped (and is deffinatly a dud--opened it)...the other egg is now hatched....I named "her" Chaos [​IMG]

*im hoping it's a hen he he*

This is her next to my thumb so people who've never seen how tiny they are can get a guestimate [​IMG] I guess my thumbs about an inch wide???

[​IMG]

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Congrats!!! [​IMG]

How many more eggs do you have in there (duh...besides mine...but that should be hatching now?)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  9. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I have two eggs due to hatch either sometime tonight or early tomorrow---again not sure if they're fertile and no pip holes yet [​IMG]

I haavveee *looks* about 11 eggs from my hen Kitty that almost all will be hatching throughout this and next week. [​IMG] Then no more Kitty eggs hatching for the season. [​IMG] Then your eggs are due ofcourse not this week but end of next week...thennnn Marie_Martins are due to hatch the day after yours! [​IMG] In total of button quail eggs i'm hoping dont all hatch (haha--my luck snice i dont hope for all to hatch they all will...if so most of Kitty chicks will be going to petstores or just sold to homes so i can make room for the colors) theres 28, and im excitinedly waiting for more from Marie, annd then another lady on here (sorry i forgot yoru sn) that i'll be ordering from next week! [​IMG] I have the room for brooding them, but I'd rather keep the new strains im getting than my own---however Chaos being the first, is deffniatly staying hen or cock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by