My FIRST call duck egg laid today! *Happy dance*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckluck, Nov 29, 2009.

1. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Well, I had a duck who was acting "broody" according to how I have read it being described...we found a nest she had scratched out in the dirt by the woodpile today out in the duck yard...today, she went down and sat on that nest. I saw her down there and just let her be, hoping against hope...I'd been told it would never happen here in our Illinois climate, but I was hoping anyway...

I heard a commotion outside the barn a short while later and opened the door, and there she was right next to the little pool outside the back door with an egg! A nicely shaped one with what looks to be a good shell!

I am still going OMG! OMG! OMG! This is my first call duck egg, and at the end of November! All my ducks are 2009 hatch except one, so I am not really holding out hope it will be fertile, being from a pullet, but this duck is one that has been breeding vigorously with one of my alpha males, so in an hour it is going into the incubator as soon as it warms to room temp! Adjusting the humidity on the bator as we speak...I may lose my 6 RIR ones, but I am not sure of them anyway, I candled them yesterday, but till my friend gets over here to have a look at them I am willing to risk them!

I am feeling justified now after having sent the hubby to get that Humidaire hatcher from that guy yesterday! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    congratulations on your egg!

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks