My first Challah Braid

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Nov 20, 2011.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    It turned out really good...I'm very happy with it. I can use a little more experience in the braiding department but the bread is good.

Challah Braid

2 heaping tablespoons sugar
    3 tablespoons oil
    1/4-cup honey
    3-1/2 ounces tub butter – melted
    1/2 heaping cup powdered milk
    1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    1-1/2 cups very warm water
    1 large egg
    3 large egg yolks
    4 rounded tablespoons vital wheat gluten
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1-tablespoon yeast

2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour

Place all the ingredients (except for the last 2-1/2 to 3 cups of flour) in bowl of stand mixer that will knead dough. Turn machine on just to mix well then turn the machine off, cover and allow mixture to sit for 4 hours. (Mixture will take on a slight sour smell, don’t worry it’s supposed to do that)

Then add enough of the remaining flour to the machine to get a medium dough and knead for 12 minutes. Cover and allow to rise to the top of the bowl.

Braid and baste with egg wash…allow to rise for 38 minutes.

Baste with egg wash again and bake at 350° for 38 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 180°.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Looks very good. I keep meaning to try that but haven't got around to it.

How are you going to serve it? I might just eat the whole thing by itself (by myself) sitting on the sofa!

3. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    We are just having this one to eat as our bread for the week.... I made this loaf as a trial run for Thanksgiving.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Lovely. Just like a picture in a recipe book.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You did that your very own self???

Im impressed!

6. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Thank you....[​IMG]

Quote:It's really easy....just follow the recipe. The hardest part is the braiding and you can watch how to do that on You Tube....I did the 4 strip braid. I didn't have a brush for the egg wash so I just used my fingers....dip your fingers in the egg wash and then gently rub it onto the bread dough.

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nice job! I found a bunch of You Tube videos when I was making a Finnish holiday braided brad with cardamon (pulla) that were really helpful. I bet you can find them too. I ended up practicing 5,6 and even 7 strand but was really only able to get the 5 strand to look very good.

8. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Beautiful! Thanks for posting the recipe - I can't wait to try it!

9. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Yeah I saw the videos with 5 and 6 strands.... but 4 strands was as adventurous as I was willing to get right now. Maybe when I have a little more experience with this I will try more.

Quote:Your welcome, the bread is really good....it's some of the best homemade bread I've had in a while. If you give it a try let us know how it turns out and post a picture.

10. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I will - here, and on the 'What Are You Baking' thread [​IMG] It looks really great -

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by