my first chick so neat now what would he/she look like when grown?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lindy, Sep 6, 2009.

1. lindy

lindy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    so the cockeral is a buff orphington and the hen is a plymouth rock. the little chick hatched today (one out of two eggs not too bad i think) the chick is black with red around its face.

so what do you all think it would look like and is there anyway to sex it since its so little. as im not allowed to have roosters so if i know that ahead of time i wont grow to much attached to the little fellow.

also i have the chick in my bedroom is it alright to put it out in the garage(insulated) with the heatlamp on. I also have 3 week old ones in the garage and they are doing great but they get to huddle together incase it gets too cold.

2. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

yes 1 way you sex it is like this

Scoop up the chick in your left hand if you are right-handed or in your right hand if you are left-handed. The chick's feet should dangle between the pinky and ring fingers. The head should poke through between the index and middle finger.

Step
    Turn the chick so that its rear end and vent face you. Over a sink or a pile of newspapers, gently squeeze the vent with the thumb and index finger while pushing gently on the chick's abdomen with the ring finger. This should expel any feces in the vent to make it easier to see inside.

Step
    Spread the vent open gently using the thumb on the left side of the vent and the forefinger on the right side. Just inside the vent, a male will have a rudimentary sex organ, called a process. The process will be a small protrusion that may look somewhat like a penis or may look more like a button. Processes come in all shapes and sizes, but their presence indicates a male. Females have either no visible organ or slight indentations.

Step
    Place clearly identified males in one box and clearly identified females in another. Some chicks will be harder to sex because of the shape or size of their sex organs. Place these chicks in a third box after the initial attempt at identification.

Step
    Repeat the sexing process with the unidentified box of chicks. Look carefully for the presence of a process. Some female chicks may have a slight visible bump that may look like a process. If it is shiny, it is likely to be a male. If it is dull, it is likely to be a female. The accuracy of sexing chicks for amateurs will be less than a professional, usually in the 75 to 85 percent range, where a professional sexer is accurate approximately 95 percent of the time.

Step
    Watch the growing chicks closely as they feather out and begin to grow combs. Any misidentified chickens will be visually male or female at this point. If you plan on sexing your chicks regularly, keep a log to record your success rate and note any misidentifications to improve your accuracy in the future.

Thats the dirty way then you can also do it like this with the wings

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the hen a Barred Rock?

If it is the chick is a female. [​IMG]

4. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    why would the chick be a female? if the mother was a barred rock?
    the chick is black with rust color on his head around his eyes and beak and under belly by his/her feet.
    doesnt look to fluffy but its cute and happy started eating a bit today

5. ella

Because a genetically red/gold male mated to a barred female creates a black sex link.

The female chicks are always black with a little gold, the males have a white spot on the back of their heads and grow up to be barred.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. lindy

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    that is neat so i have a hen yay i dont have to make a free ad for a rooster.

does it work for a easteregger and a buff orphington.?

7. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Hey Neighbor [​IMG] Yeah, that makes total sense now because you know Squirt (the black sex link) of mine is also red and black.....duhhh..that i didnt think of that before [​IMG]....hows the other little guy doing? was he a little quieter after spending a night at my house? you should ask about his/her gender as well [​IMG] did the blue egg hatch yet? [​IMG] anywho, you can keep the red marbles (i do want that mirror back eventually tho) and let me know if you need any more of those applesauce caps for watering or feed [​IMG]
    I'll stop by tomorow sometime [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ella

It would depend on the genetics of the Easter Egger. It could work if the EE was barred. It could also work if she was silver, but I don't think you can tell if she's silver or just white by looking at her.

So I guess the answer is maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by