my first chicken attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annagarret, Aug 17, 2013.

1. annagarret

annagarret Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    Hi all, this is my first post and it is a sad one. I am a new chicken owner, about a year and love it. I have 2 silver laced wyandottes that love to forage in our corn field during the day and always come back home to their coop at dusk. Two days ago they didn't come back at night and or course I thought the worst!! The next morning one of them made her home into the coop, I had left the door open, the other one was never found [​IMG]. The lone survivor was attacked by something and some of her back feathers are gone and she has been bleeding. Her comb and wattle are still bright red, her eyes are clear but has on and off labored breathing. Yesterday she wouldn't move/eat/drink. Today she has walked around a little but won't come down to eat or drink. I have tried to spoon feed her with water but she wont' drink! She is nestled in her safe, dark coop. Bringing her into our house to heal is out of the question, my husband says no.

My main question is how long can chickens go without any water?? It's been two days now. Is she dying?

Thanks for all replies

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you can catch her again, clean up her wound the best you can. Put some antibiotic ointment (nothing that contains any "caine" ingredients--those are bad for chickens) on the wound. Make sure that none of the other chickens are pecking at her wound, as that will make things worse.

Also, as I'm sure you suspect, she needs to drink something. Grab her and hold her tightly, and then try dipping her beak in water. Sometimes dribbling water on the side of the beak will also cause them to swallow. If that doesn't work, you could gently pry open her beak, slowly squirt in a little water, and wait for her to swallow. However, be careful not to squirt in water too far back in her mouth, or too fast, as you don't want to get water into her lungs. Perhaps mix some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in with the water to give her an extra boost.

If she isn't eating, that, too, is a problem. See if she'll eat scrambled eggs, bread, or moistened layer feed, as chickens usually love those. Applesauce and yogurt are other ideas, though give those in moderation, as they are not the most healthy for chickens. If she doesn't eat readily, combine feed and some water to create a thin soup. Get her to drink that mixture using the drinking methods described above.

I wish you and your chicken luck! Please keep us updated, and ask if you have any more questions. [​IMG]

3. annagarret

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    Thank you for your advice. I went to check on her about 2 hrs ago, she moved out of reach again and is dead [​IMG]. It was so touching that she made it to her home to pass away. I actually cried for a while, it might have been easier if she died in the field like the other one and I didn't have to see her suffer.

I still have 1 barred rock hen and rooster and a rhode island red hen. They are about 8 months younger and been "growing up" in another coop. I am considering not allowing them to free range so much anymore, they like the field too.

We burn a lot out here so that's how I will dispose of her body I think.Very sad I am......

4. MurphysBYC

MurphysBYC Out Of The Brooder

I'm so sorry that happened. I am also new to the whole BYC thing and that is one of my fears. I have already killed a opossum that was in my trash. I am hoping that there are no other predators around.

Again, I am so sorry, it's hard losing pets.

[​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I am very sorry for the loss of your hen. I've lost a few birds during the time I've been raising chickens, and its always hard to lose something so loved. [​IMG]

6. MrsMellyB

MrsMellyB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    A dog attacked my easter egger Penny and she was like that... it took her only an hr to die... she had several wounds under the skin that weren't visible at first. Very sad... I cried too.
    [​IMG]

7. MurphysBYC

MurphysBYC Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

My neighbor has a pitbull that always comes in our yard and poops. Now that I have chickens I'm afraid it will come after them.

Sorry about Penny.

1 person likes this.
  8. annagarret

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you let yours free range? I want them to get the sunshine, exercise and nutrients has to offer but have to keep them more protected. I might need to switch from a coop in the winter to a tractor in the summer. Plus the corn is so high up here this year, who knows what's living in it. Also, they didn't have a rooster by them. We had to put him down because he chased all of us badly

9. annagarret

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    I didn't expect to cry, I think it was because she was so brave and strong in finding her way home to the coop and then being able to pass in her nesting box.

10. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Sorry for your loss :( Have you considered building a protected fenced in area that they can get outside and still be safe from predators?

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by