My first chicken coop, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anarchy82, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Anarchy82

Anarchy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Stroudsburg, PA
    So I am new to the chicken world, and took ideas from the internet and from my friends chicken coop. I also went out to a couple of shed dealers that also sold coops to get ideas.

The overall sizie is 5 feet wide, 3 feet depth and 4 feet height in front, 5 feet height in back. Has a shingled roof which I don't have a picture of yet, and the whole coop is painted the wonderful blue color that I picked up from lowes as a return for $4. Inside has a lynolium floor, and panel for walls. I figured it would be easier to keep clean. All walls are insulated, and there is an outlet installed for a light source, and for heat come winter time. Most of the coop was built using scrap material from my construction job site at work.

Here are some pics that were taken during construction

[​IMG]
    Sidewalls attached to floor.

[​IMG]
    Insullation in walls, and panel going up.

[​IMG]
    All walls up and the roof installed. Strong enough to hold me, can hold 2 feet of snow easily. lol

[​IMG]
    Front of house is one big door that can be opened to clean inside of coop.

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Love the color [​IMG] You might think about a little more ventilation , a couple of floor vents on each side close to roof would work great. [​IMG] Got strength [​IMG]

3. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Why such a big run for such a small coop?
    Fifteen square feet is just big enough for 2-3 hens ... no roosters.
    Where do you live?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Very cute! [​IMG] I do agree that your ventilation is lacking, unless it's on the backside where your clean-out doors are. Even in winter, you'll need ventilation above roost level to help prevent moisture build-up inside (from poo and chickens breathing).
    Since your coop is narrow, I'd run the roosts across three foot span so that they have ample space to hop up/down. See if you can manage a dropping board - makes keeping things clean so much easier! [​IMG]

5. Anarchy82

Aug 10, 2011
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Its hard to see in the picture, but I have one vent on the back wall.

And I built a big run cause in due time I want to have more chickens.
    This house is a quick housing built for the chickens I have. Hence being built with scraps.

6. Anarchy82

Aug 10, 2011
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Quote:Thank you. I ended up running the roost across the 5 foot span. (told by friend to do that) I do have blocks set up (almost like steps) so they can get up and down.

7. Anarchy82

Aug 10, 2011
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Quote:I live near Stroudsburg, PA

8. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    It looks good. I like that you recycled materials. Such a better use for them [​IMG]

9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks great and the chickens will love the big run, the ventilation needs to be increased (maybe cut in some floor registers designed for forced air heat since they have a lever so you can close them from the outside when you wish)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Very Nice!! You sir are brave. It scared the doo doo out of me when I had to climb on the roof to shingle. Nothing budged and I am fairly sure it won't fall down. But all I could think about when I was up there was that my life was balancing on my own feeble construction skills. [​IMG]
    I am sure your skills are much better. The coop looks fantastic!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by