My first chicken coop :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anna_MN, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I just had to share pictures of the coop my father build for me. He has an education in "if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT!". I cannot thank him enough for building this for me. We had an excellent time building it together also. Your comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

Front of coop
    [​IMG]

Left side of coop
    [​IMG]

Back of coop
    [​IMG]

Right side of coop
    [​IMG]

Some pictures of the inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We still have to add the steel to the ouside of the coop and the 10ft x 16ft aviary in the spring. More pictures to come [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Looks nice. [​IMG]

3. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Great looking coop. Looks well built! Congrats

4. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    looks nice.....do you have ventilation in the top of the coop???...thats important.....

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:That was going to be my question!

great looking coop tho!

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Looks great! My DH is also from the school of do it right the first time! It frustrates me because of the time it takes to build anything but...it pays off in the long run! Looks like your dog likes it too!

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Wow! What color will you paint it? And ask Dad if he will help add some ventilation. Gotta have ventilation for healthy chickens. No ventilation can lead to respiratory issues. You are gonna LOVE your new chicken adventure!

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's great that your dad and you worked on that together [​IMG] It's looking great so far!

9. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Thank you everyone! Yes, we will be adding ventillation [​IMG] We will also be putting a dark red steel on the outside and two more windows on the front. What do you guys use for ventillation? I've been trying to figure something out that won't let in too much air that the -20 degree MN winds won't overpower my heat lamps. I try to keep my coop at 50 degrees but I know when winter hits it won't stay that warm...

10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very nice! I was going to say you'd better paint it, but you've got that covered! I'm no carpenter, so I can't say exactly how to add the ventilation, but if you look at some of the coops in our coop section here on BYC, you and your dad could figure out something.....The pics are very helpful.

Very nice hens too!

Happy Holidays!

Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by