my first chicken death... plz read

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Grant6411, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Grant6411

Grant6411 RIP Steven

Dec 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    for this weekend, ive been up in NC visiting my brother (just making this story short cause i just feel sick right now) and today we came back and went to the chicken coop at my school and i saw my white crested black polish (steven) wasn't there. i already knew something bad had happened so i just started bawling. i later found out that she died unexpectedly while i was gone. also, one of my sumatra chicks from BlueRoo had died and was gone. I'm incredibly upset right now. Steven was my first chicken EVER that i picked out and was my only other polish i was going to breed with my buff polish so now he's alone. all these memories of her keep coming back to me and just make me cry even more. im still in middle school and this is my first chicken death. I knew it would eventually happen but i didn't expect it this soon. I cant even remember all i was going to write im so upset right now.

Also, i need a new buff or white crested black polish around 4 months so i can breed with my polish but thats beside the point right now.

R.I.P Steven, my first and most beautiful chicken. You will be missed.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry for your losses. It definately hurts. I never do well with a loss. I've been lucky over the years and haven't lost too many but I now have several older girls and I always worry and thank heaven for every day with them.

3. Grant6411

Grant6411 RIP Steven

Dec 1, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    thank you.. although im a little disturbed that nobody else really cares enough to post.....

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm so sorry! I had a dog attack a while back and it was SO very sad to come home to three of my babies dead in the yard and one on her way out. You just never think your going to cry over chickens but I always do [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i am so sorry for your loss. i know its really hard. i had a horrible nightmare that i had forgotten to close the door to the duck house and an animal had gotten in and had torn apart two of my ducks. i just sat in there holding their mangled bodies crying. i woke up crying and at 2 in the morning i ran outside to check them. whenever i here them quack at night, i'm afraid there is something out there getting them. they spent one night outside (they wouldn't get out of the pond) and the first thing i did when i woke up was run outside to check them.

i am so sorry that you lost steven. she will be greatly missed but remember she will always be with you. you'll know when she's around visiting her. i have a friend that lost his first duck last week and at the same time that she died, he hears her quack. she'll always be with you. just remember how wonderful she was. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Dear Grant

Sorry to hear about Steven. I recently had to cull 4 of my sweeties because of illness, and some of them didn't even look sick. It was the hardest thing I ever did and I was devastated for awhile. It is so hard... we do the best we can, but sometimes we are just dealt a tough hand to play out. I always ask God to take care of my pets that have died and hope to see them again someday. Remember everthing has a time and purpose...even if it is too short for us. Hang in there.... [​IMG]

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry Grant, that is horrible! I know you must miss her a lot, I always do when I lose one especially my favorite. I hope you are still able to enjoy the little Sultans. If I wasn't so far away I have a 2-3 month old WCB chick I think may be a hen. Do you know what may have happened to them? [​IMG]

8. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    I'm so sorry to here about your baby. We just lost our first just over a week ago so I totally understand your pain. Heck, I guess all of us here do. Hang in there [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. CloudCat

CloudCat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Sorry about your los. I just lost my only showmanship duck who was my best friend.

10. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Grant

So sorry to hear that you lost your Steven!!! It is SOO hard and NEVER gets easier!!! Do you have some pictures of Steven?? Please sit down and write some of your favorite memories of Steven. Then, when you feel sad, you can re-read some of the GOOD times!!! [​IMG]

Cindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by