My first chicken death :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ophelia3178, Nov 22, 2014.

1. ophelia3178

ophelia3178 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    I had 6 chickens... now I only have 5. One of my favorites was killed yesterday. i am such a wreck... She was an amercauna named Morgoth. She was killed by something, and not eaten. We think it could be a neighbors cat. Our girls were free range of the whole yard, but now we are paranoid, so we are building a large pen for when we are not home or around. So for two days they will be cooped up. I am really sad, she was so unique, and goofy, and weird. Now she's dead... sigh... the other girls have been doing this weird head bobing turning thingy and it kind of looks like they're chocking, or are chocked up. Maybe they are grieving too. Ill post some old pictures of my sweetie. I guess ill have to get used to the occasional predator as I need to face the facts of owning chickens...

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry about your hen, Morgoth. I know how hard it is to lose a chicken to a predator. I read about more dogs killing chickens than cats here on the forum, but I suppose it was possible the attacker was a cat, especially if your poor chicken was not full grown.

3. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    It's unlikely that a cat would go after a full grown chicken... so unless Morgoth was a chick, I'd think a dog would be more likely.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

4. ophelia3178

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada

5. ophelia3178

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    [​IMG]

6. ophelia3178

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    she was almost full grown. she began laying less than a month ago...

7. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    She was a beauty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by