My First Chicken Injury (Yes, I was the injured one, not the chicken)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PamB, Nov 11, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I was spending some time with my babies today enjoying the holiday off from work. One of my favorites, Cuddles, flew up onto my shoulder. She does this often. I turned my head toward her to look at some of the other chickens and she pecked me right in the eye! I iced it for a while but after three hours, decided I just couldn't handle the pain anymore and went to the eye doctor. Well, I have a HUGE scratch on my cornea. The had to put a contact lense in (as a bandage) and I have to put antibiotic drops in my eye every two hours and return tomorrow morning to have it rechecked to make sure it is healing correctly. The doctor told me that if I hadn't gone in, more than likely it would have became a scar and I would have had permanent vision loss. SO, I will be wearing sunglasses during my visits with the chickens from now on!!! [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Geeesh! Chickens are so mean you gotta wear shades!

3. celticravenz

celticravenz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Alaska
    Oh just made me shiver............ Ouch....... Hope you feel better soon.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh mannnn...I SO wish my DH was here to read this right now... [​IMG] Our 8 wk old BR Dixie was sitting on his shoulder. I was trying to snap a picture. "Honey...look over here so I can get your picture!" "No! She'll peck me in the eye!" "Don't look at her, look at the camera!" In the time it took me to snap a picture and laugh at his "paranoia," Dixie (whom he was NOT looking at), reached around and pecked him in the eye. Guess that pupil looked like a tasty little bug???
    Unlike YOU, he did not go to the doctor. His eye stayed red for several days, but I guess he didn't get scratched as severely as you, cause no vision issues. And it's funny, because for a few months, we kept clear safety glasses out there for visiting times...lol.
    This was right before he turned his face just a little toward the camera... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    you'd got to look at it from their perspective- everything is new- they are like toddlers - they peck at things they are curious about- so you need to be careful, the shine of your eye, your tongue, earrings- you name it, they will be curious!

6. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Absolutely! As much pain as I have been in, I don't blame Cuddles at all. She wasn't being mean, she was just being curious. I think I was just distracted by the others. She flew up on my shoulder again last night and I took her off immediately! [​IMG] Heading back to the doctor now for my recheck.

7. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    I keep thinking I ought to wear safety glasses when I visit the Chicaboos, now I'm going to go get some from my DH's shop and keep them out there. Thanks for the warning!
    [​IMG]

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My DD got pecked in the eye once and she wears glasses. One of our baby BR(what is it with rocks) was sitting on her head she looked up and got pecked in the eye. Not bad though. I havent been pecked in the eye but one day holding one of our reds I was laughing and peck right on the tooth. That hurts too.

9. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    same thing happened to me. I was out sitting on the edge of a big rubber tub... and darn it all a Barred Rock hopped up on my shoulder and soon as I even turned slightly her way BAM!!! Right in the eye.

Someone said I had been 'hen picked.'

At the time, I was not amused.

10. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Wow, if my white Silkie ever pecked me as hard as she pecks at food in my hand, I'll loose an eye!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by