My First Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AmberH, May 12, 2010.

1. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    I just wanted to introduce my first chicken ever and tell a little about his short life.

I moved from town into the country in 2007. The house I moved in to used to have hundreds of chickens, goats, ducks, etc. When the lady moved out, I guess she didn't catch all of the birds. I discovered a little red rooster and a white hen (and a dog) had been left behind. I only saw the white hen a handful of times before she disappeared. But I spent weeks trying to catch the rooster. Finally, I succeeded. I locked him in the coop and eventually tamed him down. He turned out to be a sweet little bird.

Throughout my efforts of catching him, I started calling him Bucko. The name stuck and got longer. Sir Bucko Charles III was his full name. lol Just Bucky for short though. I felt really sorry for him because he was all alone. I called my friend who raises show birds and I got a little black CochinXAmeraucana hen to go with him. She had stunning green eggs. She quickly acquired the name Lady Olivia Catherine III or just Olivia.

The pair was inseperable. They constantly walked side by side, touching. It was almost like they were holding hands. We were crazy new chicken owners and even had a little wedding for them. lol I have that picture somewhere but for the life of me, just can't find it. Those two little birds started a nasty addiction for me. Hahaha!

Bucky and Olivia were free range birds. They were never locked inside and always had an exit. They usually came home just before dark but one night, they didn't. [​IMG] I figure a fox or something got them. I went chicken-less for nearly a year before I got my blue Cochin pair. I believe that Bucky and Olivia lived a happy life. They sure were spoiled little birds.

Here are the only pictures I have of Sir Bucko. I don't have any handy of Olivia. She looked like a black Cochin. The only thing different was that she had green eggs instead of cream. Feel free to guess the breed of this boy. I'm sure he's just a barnyard mix. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    What a grand name!
    I dont have a geuss im afraid as im not that clued up on mt breeds.

My cockeral was called Steve until yesterday when he was renamed Dinner, then this morning he was renamed "That bl**dy cat has ripped open the bin after that darned chicken carcus"!

3. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    Thank you! He definately was a spoiled chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by