My first chickens, 2 Black Australorp 2 Buff Orpington

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jmeeter88, Aug 21, 2008.

1. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Well these are my first chickens ever! I picked them up from a family in Greene, NY. Um... They are only a few weeks old, but have their first feathers! I have a red 250w lamp on them, keeping them nice and warm. I will pay close attention to whether or not they get too hot or cold. They are being fed a starter feed mix, with antibiotics and nutrients.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    OHHH!!

Reminds me of when my girls were babies. The Australorps are the best. very sweet birds

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    awsome they are great birds i got 2 Black Australorp and 3 Buff Orpington such sweet birds..but watch out they will grow up so fast on you..

4. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congrats on the new babies! So cute! I have a Buff Orp too! You will love them, but darn they get big fast, literally overnight you will see changes! Enjoy

[​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome to the world of chicken parenting! You'll love it!

6. jmeeter88

jmeeter88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    New Hartford, NY
    Thanks for the replies and encouragement guys!

I don't have a thermometer right now (my dad is gonna bring one over later) but I think the temp is just right because they are not avoiding the direct light, nor are they staying directly under it. (A nice even temperature is what I'm saying).

They are sleeping quite a bit but every so often pop up and start looking around for food, water, etc. I also picked up a book from the library, titled Keep Chickens! Tending Small Flocks in Cities, Suburbs, and Other Small Spaces.

Will keep you all updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by