My first chicks are coming in a week

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by freemare, May 18, 2016.

1. freemare

freemare Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    I just ordered my first chicks. I have 6 coming of diffrent breeds. So I have been working on getting my brooder ready, I have placed it in the store room in the garage. As we have cats and dont want to take a chance that one of them gets one. I have a large cardboard box and picked up the feed. I have pine shavings in the bottom. What about water? I know some please say to ad ACV to the water to help with boosting their immune system. Any help and info would be great.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally just put some brown sugar, a teaspoon to a quart of water to help with any who may have had low blood sugars and are weak. I also put glass rocks, mine are a shiny blue in the water and scattered them on my paper towels which I put over the shavings for the first week. I scatter crumbles so they peck at the floor initially for food, the shiny rocks draw them in.

Mine are coming next week too, I have my brooder set up and have run my heat lamp to get a correct height for the temperature I need. I like 85-90. I brood out in my garden shed, I can look out my kitchen window and see the glow of the heat lamp and know they are okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by