My first chicks ever!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JustMeKimberly, May 21, 2010.

1. JustMeKimberly

JustMeKimberly Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    I just picked up my four little babies yesterday and I am scared to death! [​IMG] I can see the coop from my bedroom window and every time I rolled over I had to peek outside to make sure the heat lamp was still on. I went outside twice to check on them. Is this normal? Will I grow out of it? [​IMG]

And another thing . . . how do I get them to like me? I wanna be their momma now, but they are afraid of me. [​IMG]

2. Farmington

Farmington Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    You'll grow out of it in time, but you'll still worry a little, which means you care for your birds, so that's good. The chicks will freak out about every time you reach in on them for a little while. After a few weeks of daily handling, and changing water, and feeding, they realize who looks out for them, and where the food comes from, and won't flip out so much. You'll see all of their personalities come out to where some will come running to you, while others like to stay at a comfortable distance. They are all different. I have a couple lap chickens, and a couple freaks, but most are somewhere in the middle, not afraid, but not cuddly either. Enjoy your chicks while they are young, because they will grow FAST!!!

3. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    As long as they're warm and dry they'll be OK. I brooded mine in my garage and did the same thing - constantly checking on them ! But, they're all grown up now so no longer in my garage. But I do still check them ALL the time.

To get them to like you ??? Food ! hold their chick feed in the palm of your hand so they can eat from your hand - once they associate you with food - they'll love you forever [​IMG]
    We also "cuddled" our chicks a lot. Got them used to being handled. Some are friendly - some keep their distance anyway. But ALL come running when they see me with food [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  4. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    First of all: [​IMG]

This is a great group of people here with tons of knowledge. Keep coming back here with any questions. There's always someone here with a solution. You'll find that raising chickens is so much fun and very addicting. Enjoy your babies. How old are they and what kind are they?

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] New chicks! YAY!! Grow over of the excitement? I never have~ & it's been about a year ! If you're like most of us, you'll be wanting MORE chicks before yours even give you that first egg![​IMG]

6. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    [​IMG]

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I pasted this from another one of my posts. It works really good for taming:

Well then, you might try my 'egg' trick; pick him up and hold him so that you have one hand under him and the other hand over his back, sort of forming an 'egg' shape with his head sticking out between the thumb and forefinger of your top hand. Then blow warm air into your hands in the area between his neck/back and your hands by keeping your mouth comfortably relaxed and gently breathing out making an 'haaaaaaaaaaaah' sort of breath. Think of filling the 'egg' with warmth. This usually settles them right down. Then you can use your finger or thumb to gently stroke the area by his ears and back of his little neck. If he gets agitated right away, do the breath again. Works really well for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by