My first chicks...EVERYTHING'S NEW!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texaschickmom, Nov 4, 2009.

1. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    This is my first post in the BYC forum. I've been reading everyone's posts about raising chicks, but still have a few questions. I have 5 RIR, 4 BR, and 2 BO chicks that are 16 days old now. Everything has gone great and they're growing so fast and getting so many feathers!! My first question is: what about the size difference that I'm seeing. One of the BR is very small next to the largest BR. Is that normal for chicks of the same age and same breed to develop at different rates? They are all from the same small hatchery about an hour away. It seems that a few of them are trying to be the "queen" of the little flock. They'll jump up, flap their wings and bump the other chicks and then have a "stare-down." It's funny to watch:D I guess that's normal, right? Thanks for your help.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    WELCOME TO BYC!!! [​IMG]

Sounds like your chicks are getting the pecking order down at the two week stage!

You'll want to watch your runt (the little one) Sometimes they are kicked away from the feeder and you need to make certain that she is getting proper nutrients.

I sometimes will mix starter mash with sugar water and put it in a syringe to feed the runts to help them catch up.

Congrats on the chicks and good luck.

We're so happy you are here.

3. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Thank you for your warm welcome, good advice and encouragement. I will definitely keep an eye on "Little Rock" as he/she is affectionately called:) I am posting a photo to show feathers of 2 of my chicks. Does this seem like a lot for 2 weeks old? And just about every chick looks like this. I'm amazed, but maybe this is normal.
    [​IMG]

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:A lot of feathers? They look just right for 2 weeks. They should be just about all feathered in at about week three, though their heads are usually a little behind.

Welcome to BYC!

I have the same breeds you have; i will see if i can find some of my 2 week pics for you to compare.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Yeah if your Little Rock is getting shoved away from the feeder it might be a good idea to provide 2 feeders.

Everything else seems like you're doing good!

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Here are mine at 2 weeks.
    [​IMG]

And these are at 3 weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, that last one's kind of fuzzy.

I have a runt rir too - actually a little younger than these. He's a feisty guy, and he always gets food. However, some have helped their runts catch up by taking them out a few times a week to feed them a high protein snack like boiled eggs or yogurt. I haven't tried that yet, but i will if he doesn't continue to grow and catch up.

After i look at these picture, yours look somewhere in between 2 and three weeks, so they're just about right, i'd say. They do feather in very fast. You don't get very long to enjoy their fuzzy little butts. [​IMG]

7. texaschickmom

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Thanks, PunkinPeep, for the photos..I was thinking my chicks were "superchicks", of course!! Looks like they're right on track. I've been really watching my little runt and she seems to be eating, drinking, etc. just fine. I try to handle all of them because I want them to be pets, not just egg-layers. I have them in a rabbit cage on the floor in my garage and I've found 2 of them up on the sides swaying to and fro, so.....the top goes on the cage now when I leave and at night. They would be safe in the garage, but no water or food. Chances are they couldn't figure out how to fly back in. I'll keep everyone posted on their progress. It's so nice to have fellow chicken-lovers to share this with. No one in my family understands:(
    I noticed the little bands on your chick's legs...what a great idea for telling them apart. What are they?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Hehehe!! I felt the same way about mine when they were tiny babies!! They were the smartest, most advanced chicks around! [​IMG] Take pics every week (even if just for yourself), because they sure do change A LOT those first 6 weeks or so... Enjoy your babies!!

9. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Of your chicks are super chicks! I've always felt that mine are! [​IMG]

The little bands were my attempt to save money. I used little hair bands from the Family Dollar. I got like 1100 for $2.00. They worked for probably the first 5 weeks, but after about week 8, it because completely futile to try to keep them on. I don't know if they're eating them or what. But they're definitely getting them off, and i grew weary of trying to keep replacing them. So now, i can't tell them apart as well. I will have to get some of the bands that are actually meant for banding chickens in a few weeks when they can be more permanent - and a better way to spend my money.

I used to use zip ties on my "teenage" chickens. But some here caution against it. I didn't have any problems with them at all.

I understand about wanting people to share your excitement with. The normal peeps just don't seem to get it. [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    texaschickmom......mine are going to be 2 weeks on Saturday, and they look the same as yours in feathering. Enjoy them as babies, cuz before you know it, they'll be all grown up. They grow SO DARN FAST! I have 6 that are 9 months old and 5 that will be 2 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by