My first chicks have been with me for about a week

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BonnieLass, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BonnieLass

BonnieLass Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Hello, everyone! I have been checking out and reading BYC for a while now, but have just finally joined. I got my first chicks last week: 4 black sex linked crosses. I had chickens as a teenager and loved it, but this will be a totally different experience. Those chickens were fryers and were butchered as soon as possible. These chickens will be layers and pets. I live in a small city and have loads of rules to follow and neighbors to keep happy this time. Last time we lived out in the country and only had to worry about the young roosters attacking my little brother or digging up my mother's garden. We are still putting up our big box prefab coup outside while we brood our chicks in the house. I am already in love with them and plan on naming them and sharing eggs with the neighbors. I was encouraged to get this hybrid breed after reading reviews here on BYC. Thanks for the inspiring information and the funny stories.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BonnieLass, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Black Stars (black sex-links) are great birds! Enjoy those eggs and have fun!

3. BonnieLass

Mar 20, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Thank you, redsoxs. I am very excited.

4. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Welcome it's definately great to have you here! I got 6 amber link crosses as my first they are 4wks now and last week I bought 3more but older chickens 5months old two Partridge Silkies and 1 Barred Rock that refused to stay with the other chickens and kept flying into the silkie coop LOL. Can't wait to see pictures!

5. BonnieLass

Mar 20, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Wow! In my town we are limited to 4 hens. I wish I could have more. I originally wanted Black Jersey Giants, but given this legal flock size limit I wanted to get a variety that produced more eggs. I am also converting my small city lot into a kind of miniature farm. I have raised bed gardens I just put in and am still building my coup. I should say that until almost two years ago the city law prohibited keeping any poultry at all.

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. BonnieLass

Mar 20, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Thank you! Everyone on here seems so nice. I'm glad I joined BYC. I am going to take some picutres of the chicks today. Hopefully I can take some good ones.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    I don't understand the these laws in my city most people have small lots but if you have a big enough lot you can keep quite a bit of chickens in the city I understand the noise issue and having no roosters over 4 months of age. But with all the police sirens and dogs, crazy people, could you really hear a rooster LOL??!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by