My first chicks, just wanted to share

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snewman, Jun 10, 2008.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    My first chicks and ducklings are four weeks old now. I lost two ducklings within a few hours of arrival and have one lame duck, but all of the chickens are doing well. I got a crazy assortment and now the breed personalities are starting to come out. Probably no surprise to you more experienced chickeners, but fun for me to see. The dark cornish are by far the most daring, agile and assertive. The first to use the perch, the first to try to hop over the divider, etc. I have one crested something (MM mystery chick) who thinks he's boss and dashes over to challenge my foot every time I step into the coop, the little chicks play leap frog over the cornish X's because they're too fat and slow to get out of the way. I have seen some of the littlest ones sleep on the backs of the cornish X's and on the backs of the ducks. I'm really glad they're out of the brooder and into the coop now, as the ducks made an awful mess of the brooder and I didn't really have a setup to separate them. They're still together but I've figured out a slightly better water situation that the ducks can't do quite so much damage with. At any rate, I just wanted to say how much fun I'm having with them and that I'm really glad I just jumped in and got them. Of course now I want more and am planning my next order for next spring, or next month...

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    cooool.........r u gonna eat the X's

3. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    do you have any pics to post would love to see the dark cornish. I've been thinking about ordering some from MMM, probably next spring and they are probably all sold for the year and not sure I want to try them in later months this year. sounds like you have a great assortment there, envy the ducks so far that's one thing DH won't budge on, NO DUCKS.

4. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Yes, gonna eat the X's, and at least some of the dark cornish. I figured I try a "regular" , more natural breed and see what I thought of that in comparison to the X's. I'll let you know in a few weeks!

I'll see if I can get some pics. I'm a film picture girl, so I'll need to borrow my husband's digital.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by