My first chicks. RIR's Pic.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by holliewould, May 16, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG]

There is always a cat around. These ladies are two months old now. They come when I call them and I can pick them up. They perch at night and during the day they lay in that crate. I notice they don't poop in that crate for some reason. They hatched at the same time, however the one "omelette" in the back with the lighter head is smaller. The front one "Janet" is darker and not shy at all. A Mexican guy sold them to me for 1.67 as pullets and from what I understood, he said they are RIR's. They are going through that ugly phase. When should I take them off of chick starter? In an eggshell, these are pics of my very first chickens.

2. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    CUTE!!! WE got 2 RIR's in March. Keep them on chick starter until they start laying - 18-20 weeks or so

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Very cute! I love my RIR's!
    [​IMG]

4. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Chick starter till about 20 weeks - should say something about that on the bag of starter too. Those are cute chicks. Do you have a coop yet? I noticed the cat in the picture. One of my cats is terrified of my 4 week old australorps. The other two I do not trust at all. Enjoy your chicks!

5. A Carolina Chick

A Carolina Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    NC
    Super Cute!

6. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Thanks guys. Well the chick starter I got is in a big brown paper bag. So there's no instructions. Glad to know they still need to be on it. Must go get more! They are in a 6' x 5' cage at the moment. The cage is about 5' high and sits on the earth. I moved them out there about 2 weeks ago. It's sooo hot here so I keep a fan on them. I plan on letting them free roam. So do the RIR's fly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by